• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

ZDDPlus oil additive

swift6

Yoda
Randall and I could probably go back and forth arguing different points of physics theories, applications and more regarding the internal workings of the internal combustion engine. There is a whole lot more going on than either of us have even begun to speak about.

But I'm not going to. Frankly its unnecessary distraction from the original question which was to offer a guess as to whether any damage had been done in the first 4,000 miles without ZDDP.

The most direct answer to this question is, we really have no idea and a guess is just a guess and worth as much as you pay for it. If the cam/lifters were properly broken in, and they are not poor quality pieces, then you might be okay with the reduced ZDDP levels of modern oil. Or, the damage could already be done and component life may have been shortened. Whether that means you might see failure tomorrow, in 5,000 miles, 20,000 miles or 80,000 miles is not really answerable at this time. The only way to know for sure if there has been any damage is to remove the cam and lifters and examine them. As an alternative, sending samples of oil off for analysis may also yield good information for you.

In the meantime, using an additive to return your choice of oil to the older ZDDP levels, or using an oil with those higher ZDDP levels could be considered cheap insurance.

R

RonMacPherson

This is exactly why I use Yamalube motorcycle oil. Costs me around 4 a quart at the dealer. It is refined to earlier API protocols. If I remember it is SG or SH. Which means it has ZDDP levels.

The motorcycle manufacturers still include zddp in most of their oils. Even though most of them have gone to a cam/valve train design which precludes a lot of the sliding/rubbing motion where "wear" occurs.

Several years ago there was one of the more respected forensic automotive engineers in the country did an analysis and posted it in the IATN website on their forums.

IATN, for those who don't know and would like to know is International Automotive Technician's Network.

A forum where a lot of those in the auto industry post... Since reading his posts I also did some of my own investigative research to find out for myself. And I agree that some type of antiwear additive is a necessity for flat lifter type cam trains longevity...

And if you are really curious write some of the oil analysis places and get their observations....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
RonMacPherson said:
And I agree that some type of antiwear additive is a necessity for flat lifter type cam trains longevity...
Me too. But the real question is whether .12% increases longevity appreciably over .08%, for a stock engine and camshaft operated at normal street rpm with oil changes at normal intervals. So far, I've not seen any evidence that does. If you have some, I'd sure like to see a link.

The flat tappet engine that I junked in 2005 with some 250,000 miles on it had never had the heads off, and showed no signs of a worn out cam. (I did remove the rocker covers once, to replace the valve stem seals.) If spending an extra $7 at every oil change would have extended the cam's life to 300,000 miles, I would have simply wasted almost $600, since the rest of the car (and engine) didn't last that long. And $600 would have more than covered the cost of a new cam & lifters.

"Cheap insurance" is what sells most snake oil.

swift6

Yoda
Snake oils are often touted as Miracle Cures. Which ZDDP isn't.

The increase of cam failures attributed to lack of ZDDP are more with new components and not high mileage engines. The relative work hardening on the high mileage components, looser tolerances, weaker springs etc... might also contribute to them not being nearly as sensitive to the decreased amounts of ZDDP. Since it is more prevalent on newer components, the break in procedure and following oil use could still be, and reportably is, a major factor in longevity of the new components.

Since the OP didn't specify which oil he is using we can't be sure of its ZDDP content it may or may not have had. But he did state that it is 4,000 miles since rebuild. If you haven't noticed any problems yet, constantly adjusting valves etc... then he may be okay. Only way to know for sure is to either inspect the pieces or use an oil analysis company.

Fresh Engine vs high mileage engine = apples and oranges in these cases.