• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wow, its close

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I saw this Shirt on Ebay and it looks close to mine.
mid001.jpg

ebay midget shirt

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
sweet!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
12 hours left - shall we bid it up just to make Kim's day? :devilgrin:

actually it is uncanny.

as an aside last Sunday was the family Xmas here and we do a gift exchange. My sister in law had made me a T shirt with an iron on transfer that she had made herself. it was a safety fast old ad, but, had also downloaded and printed a smaller pic of Ms Triss for the sleeve. They tried to find a big picture of my actual car - even to the point of my Brother on Law lurking here to try to find something I had posted. Nice thought and interesting way of getting your actual car on a t-shirt

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Kim,

When you repainted your wheels did you use a stencil or was all that free hand. I've got to repaint my Rostyles and replace trim rings on Bugsy.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Jim_Gruber said:
Kim,

When you repainted your wheels did you use a stencil or was all that free hand. I've got to repaint my Rostyles and replace trim rings on Bugsy.

Jim, I taped my Rostyles with blue painters tape - then used a sharp x-acto knife to cut out the shapes - there are grooves in the rims. there were a couple of corners I had to freehand and a couple of spots I had to touch up but was very pleased with the results and it was easier than I had built myself up to believe. I used duplicolor wheel paint and clear coat and used graphite instead of black. I like the shade better - it's a touch more modern and somehow some shades of black make the wheels look poorly done.

Attachments

• 19390.jpg
    19390.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 288

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Rik said:
Kim,
That doesn't look at all like your car. It has a mirror on the passenger side.
Rik
That's easy to fix!

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Jim_Gruber said:
Kim,

I took the tires off and sand blasted the wheels in one of those little blast boxes with the glove arms made into it. Then I painted it gloss black rustoleum, then I used plain 3/8 inch wide masking tape and hand painted the silver. I took a silver spray can and just sprayed it into the lid and then dipped the brush in that and painted it. When it was dry, I peeled off the tape and did a bit of touch up and then sprayed some rustoleum clear over it. Not real happy with the clear. It wrinkled in a few places. I did all five wheels that way. The early rostyles were harder to paint than I think the later rostyles would be. I got a set of the later ones on the junker and might paint them. I still got that paint that has 97% of the reflectivity of real chrome.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Kim,

Gotta get the blast cabinet back in order. Used it once, filled the garage in 5 minutes with dust and put it away. Bought a really small shop vac, 5 gallon bucket, and plumbing to build a "bong" for the exhaust to control the dust but never got around to using. I've cleaned up the wheels and repainted Rustoleum Black several times but until I get them blasted rust will keep coming back.

OK another project on the To Do List after I finish the basement floor tile job, one of those horrible projects that has been going on forever, fix the compressor, finish some winter welding work and body work on Bugsy, add a pair of dual white strips and then I can think about redoing the wheels. Now if a nice set on MiniLites were to come available around tax time.....

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Jim, I personally think that you can make rostyle wheels look as good or better than any aftermarket wheels that fit on a spridget. The early rostyles were only made for a year or so and I have people ask me where I got those wheels. I tell them they are factory original wheels.
Mvc-001s.jpg

V

vagt6

I agree. The stock rostyles clean up very nicely and look fantastic on these cars. I'd prefer wire wheels, but the cost is prohibitive and equals approximately 25% of the value of my Midget (retail cost of all new parts/wheels, etc.).

I hand-sanded, repainted and carefully balanced my Midget's rostyles and have recieved tons of compliments on them.

Next best thing to wires, IMHO, and look just as good. :yesnod:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Kim, I agree your Rostyles look awesome. Bugsy is definitely envious of your wheels. Hey I think your Spridget is a SWA. What size tires are those Firehawks?

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Jim_Gruber said:
Kim, I agree your Rostyles look awesome. Bugsy is definitely envious of your wheels. Hey I think your Spridget is a SWA. What size tires are those Firehawks?
175/70/13 and they are no longer made. My toe in was way out and ate the front tires up while the back ones have almost no wear at all. I need two tires but they are not to be found. I may have to swap the two rears to black walls and get some different ones for the front.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Soo much rain lately I need boots to just walk to the shop. Working on the Sprite paint fund but kind of slow this time of year. Just ran 4 wire service to the shop and need to finish that up, unbind the shops breaker box and get the grounds straight. Just catching up on some things.

Take care