• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WOW!!! V8 Healey!!

john_j

Jedi Trainee
Can't decide if this is innovative, pushing the envelope, or complete madness! Either way it looks impressive!

V8 Healey

BlueRidge2

Jedi Hopeful
Can't decide if this is innovative, pushing the envelope, or complete madness! Either way it looks impressive!

Poor judgement imop! Could have been a nice car.

V

vagt6

I agree. All that money and skilled labor to create an essentially new, unoriginal car.

It's not longer a Healey, but very interesting nonetheless.

Sad. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nopity.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi John,
I did a very similar project with a BN2 in 1960. It was very fast, exciting, & extremely expensive. The acceleration & top speeds were exceptional. Front end weight was less than with the original engine so traction was pretty good. The rear sparkplugs were accessed via removable covers in the footwell sides. It was a great experience for a short time. You can see a lot more of such cars here. https://www.ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys/

The down side was increased passenger compartment heat, in spite of much insulating & other heat relieving measures. Something that Healeys really don't need. The final result was a car which would sell for about half that of an unmolested car in similar condition.

Needless to say, my next Healey didn't have a V8. To each his own.

IMO, one of the repro kits with different running gear & bodies set up for a V8 would be a much better & cheaper way to go.
D

Country flag
I guess that it is impressive, but maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist. If I wanted a V-8 I'd be buying old vettes, or who knows what. I love the big Healeys for what they are, not what they might have been.

BlueRidge2

Jedi Hopeful
I like the look of the car in picture number 14 on the link Dave provided. BN1 with a Jag engine. I would not have sacrificed a 100 M factory car for the build though.
( Not your run of the mill been done to death small block Chevy) I have seen a few and very few tastfuly well built modified cars that I have been impressed with. To each his own i guess.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
john_j said:

V8 Healey

Blimey Yanks, Its Bloody alright me thinks.---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
RonMacPherson said:
Yup, I think Carroll Shelby would like it!

The old man "DMH" TOO ---Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
john_j said:

Far from innovative. This has been going on for nearly 50 years.

Bruce

tiga2

Jedi Trainee
...Looks GREAT to me, as I have one also, but not this modified. Cant figure why peple object to this stuff. Seems like if was done in the 50's and 60's it was cool, but if you do it now its "sacrilege".

A modifed Healey is rude, crude, fast and a total blast to drive...'nuff said!

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I like it. One, the cars already been modified beyond restoring, and two yet another "HOT" Healey on the road to make other's wishful. I'm envious, and may Pete Farmer work for free because he had so much FUN.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
When I was a kid in Milwaukee there was a guy who belonged to the local Brit car club that had a 100-4 with an early DeSoto 291 ci Hemi in it...

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
<span style='font-size: 12pt'>I’m not criticizing anyone who wants the V8 power. I think a straight six just looks better in the engine compartment.</span> <span style='font-size: 8pt'>Sorry all you guys with the 4’s</span> /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I think that was a great way to utilize an old V8 conversion that came without the original engine and running gear. I think DH would appreciate folks using his old car bodies in such a way.
He would probably own one if he was still with us. It was DH's creative use of a lot of existing parts along with some innovation and invention that gave the world Healeys to begin with. That kind of restoration has a lot in common with DH's experimenting IMHO. Didn't he try to buy V8s from Ford and GM but they wouldn't sell him any as they needed all they could make for their own cars at the time ? If sales were slower in those years, we may all have been driving our 283 or 289 cubic inch Healeys today. ... Your opinion may vary.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Shane

Jedi Warrior
vagt6 said:
I agree. All that money and skilled labor to create an essentially new, unoriginal car.

It's not longer a Healey, but very interesting nonetheless.

Sad. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nopity.gif

I would say it's still a Healey, just not an Austin Healey. Maybe "Chevrolet Healey?"