• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wow...nice '56 on ebay

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
the price too! Good Luck

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yup, nice car and I like the unique apple green too. Nice mods for using and looks well cared for.
My wife's birthday is coming up, his and hers '56's. I have TS14502L made in Dec 56. She'd kill me.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks;

"She sure is Pretty, don`t you think"?

Even though I don`t believe thats an Orig Color but who cares:

Where is she right now? / $17K & how many days left?

Have Fun;

Regards, Russ

She`s $17.6K / 1-1/2 days to go: /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

PeterK

Yoda
At least it's not geranium (no offense). I like the color pallette that TR used on the 3's and wish they continued through the 4s. Apple grows on me too but doesn't have the demand of <s>resale</s> signal red. Wish mine wasn't red.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
PeterK said:
At least it's not geranium (no offense). I like the color pallette that TR used on the 3's and wish they continued through the 4s. Apple grows on me too but doesn't have the demand of <s>resale</s> signal red. Wish mine wasn't red.

When I restored mine ('57), I went with Pearl White (more a cream color), and red interior. Didn't want red or green - too many of them around. I REALLY liked the combination, but when it sold, it went for $15.5K.

The '56 on ebay looks like Apple Green, but may be a shade lighter. Not that it mattered, because there was a lot of inconsistency back then anyway.

Now there are two on ebay - a red one! The minimum bid is $20K. It'll be interesting to see how each of them do.

D

DougF

Triumph had some very interesting "sportscar colors". This green doesn't do much for me but it is much better than Saffron or Brown. No offense intended, but those aren't what I'd call sporty colors. Some of the browns are more appealing than others, but I think BL could have been a little more creative. Heads must have rolled when Java Green and Magenta were proposed.
Saffron was the original color on my car. Friends told me to take it back to original, "You never see that color". Well, there's a reason for that. I looked at the paint for three years, even buffed out an area so to get the true effect. I still went with Mallard. Mustard looks good on a Stag or even a GT6, but to me, not the TR6.
My TR3 is black. It will remain that way. My Healey is red on red on red, identical to a friends car. I joked with him about a vanity plate, which I may have to do: BFSTEAK.
I encouraged a friend to paint his TR2 the original color of Geranium. I think it is a great period color. It will never get lost in a parking lot. He was going to go with red, but did go original. I think he's happy with his decision.
It's all a matter of taste, or on my part, the lack of.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's been said here before, but the color choices for TR2's and early 3's were influenced by the wife of one of the pricipals of TR/Standard (Lady Black?). Maybe partly to attract the boulevard cruiser crowd...

Apple Green was the choice, I think, for the works rally cars of the period.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
A very nice car.Very little to find fault with.Altho he mentions it in his description, the trunk floor is BLAM..a dead give away. Nice lites too,very cool.I wonder why he couldn't find the split rims,I think his car falls into that era when they were used. I think he has done a good job explaining his car though. I hope it brings good money.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I dunno, I've seen period color pics that look pretty close to that shade of apple green. Hard to tell as it could be the TR paint quality control changes or the color pics fading over time that lead to the dif shades.
I've read (more places than one) that many thought Lady Black was a tad color blind. I don't think Mr. Black cared abit as to color as long as they were coming off the production line.
My 56 is red/tan. I've a diff shade of red than factory though, brighter and a bit orangish/red. I like it and you can see me coming and that was a consideration for safety. Now if only those SUV's could see me behind them at a stop without being 3 car lengths back.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Nice car, but definitely not Apple Green. Apple Green looks like, well, a green apple.

Looks a lot like Shoal Green to me:

ShoalGreen.JPG

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
My '57 is red and tan also. I think it's a great combination. My red is nowhere near the signal red orange, shading more to the blue.

Country flag
That car is not far from me, I'd offer to have a look but I an out of town starting tomorrow am. I'd call that color Seafoam Green. Looks like a really decent car.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Well fellers, its a raised panel floor stamping use on later model TR3A's. Used for more room for the spare tire. TR2/3s early 3A's had flat floors. Makes me wonder who was doing the judging at that concours he took 2nd place in.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Forgot to mention,..anybody else notice he has excellent oil pressure even tho the engine is not running.A few other things also....But the point is he has a very nice car and I still hope he gets good money. I just wish he would have disclosed a bit more info.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
very nice'

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
BOXoROCKS said:
Well fellers, its a raised panel floor stamping...

Thanks for explaining I was unfamiliar with that change.

BOXoROCKS said:
Makes me wonder who was doing the judging at that concours he took 2nd place in.

Yes, 'concours' winner may mean different things, e.g. I often encounter a 'past TRA concours winner' that is a decidedly modified TR3A (but real shiny). Perhaps all cars judged at a certain point level get 'firsts' and at another point level get 'seconds', etc. Never been to one of those events.