• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

wide band O2 sensor recommendations?

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
I have a 1500 midget with 9:1 compression, weber dgv carb.
I would like to add a wide band O2 sensor to help in tuning. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to you?
Does anyone have any personal experience with any wide band O2 sensors that are out there?

Morris

Yoda
I have the LC-1 . It has been pretty good to me so far. I have been running it about 6 years now. One piece of advice: if you fire up the care without powering up the sensor, your sensor will be instantaneously ruined. I have ruined two sensors by forgetting to plug the sensor into the controller before starting up.

OP
R

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
Morris: What do you mean "if you fire up the care without powering up the sensor, your sensor will be instantaneously ruined". If you turn on the ignition switch, shouldn't power be supplied to the sensor?

Anyone else: Do anyone else have any experience with other wide band oxygen sensors?

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]If you turn on the ignition switch, shouldn't power be supplied to the sensor?[/QUOTE]

Yes... The trick is, if you have things apart under the bonnet (as I frequently do) you MUST remember to plug the sensor back into the controller before firing it up. Otherwise, there is nothing to worry about. (although make sure you are getting power to controller before you start it the first time).

OopsClunkThud

I've used a few of them on scooters, including this one https://prosportgauges.com/wideband-air-fuel-ratio-kit.aspx
Most the kits seem to use the same sensors so it's mostly the gauge that differentiates them. With that in mind I'd pick the gauge that fits and go from there.

The LC-1 seems overkill for a carbureted motor, but I'm glad it was mentioned as it will fit nicely with some other projects.

Morris

Yoda
The prosport gauge would be a very good deal for Megasquirters. However, if you plan to do data logging, you will need to buy additional hardware to go along with it. But I agree that data logging may be a bit 'o overkill for a carbed motor.

DRKizer

Freshman Member
I have and use a Innovate Motorsports LM-2 portable hand held meter/data recorder with my Lotus Super Seven. I have mixed emotions about it. It works but is quirky. I have to use resistor spark plugs and plug wires or the RFI will make my meter constantly re-boot. The cable connectors to the meter are light duty. The latches on my power cable and sensor cable have failed and I have to use rubber bands to hold them attached to the meter. My cable clamp for rpm pickup is finicky and goes intermittent if it is not held securely in place on the spark plug wire with rubber bands and kept as far as possible away from heat. I can't get the alternate analog rpm pickup to work at all. Their customer support is no help. Their user forum is some help.

Cheers,

David

G

I don't understand, the sensor creates it's own voltage or is it different w/ wideband?

Two of 'em? OUCH!

I have both EGT gauges and a wideband O2 on the race car, can't tell you the brand name off the top of my head of the O2, but for now, all is working well.