• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Posting Wide Pictures

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This is a request.
When you post a wide picture it forces the entire post to be wide. In many cases the post is too wide for the monitor. This makes the other forum members have to scroll horizontally for each line of text. A universal truth in the software world is "Everyone hates the horizontal scroll bar".

Please resize your pictures when you post.

Thanks,
BOBH

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Bob - excellent reminder.

Pics uploaded directly to the forum are limited by forum software - but not pics that are *linked* from other sites.

Maybe in the next version of the forum software, the *linked* pictures can be automatically limited in display size, or at least "screened" for maximum widths.

Resizing pics that members link from other sites (like web photo albums, etc.) is a lot of hoops to jump through - and thus doesn't get done.

Tom

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
pix should be a max. of 640x480 as a rule of thumb

DSC07730.jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I make all of mine 550 X 413. Fits all size monitors.

PeterK

Yoda
Sorry, I'm guilty, and surprised that some of your are still in the dark ages as far as monitor size. Mine is 1600x1200 and I've been resizing down to 800x600 (same for pics I send to fit my mom's monitor). When they're too small, the detail is lost. I understand not everyone has large monitors but with 55 year old eyes, I need the size to see.

As for linked pics, IE will autoresize to fit your virtual screeen automatically. (re)Click on the image to see full image size. To set this option:

<span style="font-style: italic">Start IE, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab, Multimedia, Enable Automatic Image resizing</span> Restart your browser after setting this feature.

We're a little over the top as far as home technology. For the two of us, we have 5 PCs, wi-fi, two networked HDDs (one for 160GB media and one 250GB for network files like TR docs, drivers, programs updates), a central networked laser/fax/scanner, and networked photoprinter.
One PC is the HTPC that also controls the house lighting, thermostat, security system, and has (limited) voice control, also announces in a pleasant female British voice (her name is Audrey)when the laundry is done, garage doors open and close, tool shed opens, etc.
The network media HDD is shared to our DVRs so we can see pictures, videos, and listen to MP3 on any TV in our house (and shop).
We modulate two private TV channels to our TV network, one from each DVR so my wife and I can watch separately if we want.
And having all my TR stuff on a network drive means that I can call up anything from any PC. My workshop PC has a 19" monitor - the smallest except for my laptop. Laptop is setup for mobile activities like GPS, OBDII interfaces for our newest cars, etc.
When my wife has home work to do, she plops on the sofa with her work notebook, VPNs to work through our wireless.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
<span style="font-style: italic">We're a little over the top as far as home technology. For the two of us, we have 5 PCs, wi-fi, two networked HDDs (one for 160GB media and one 250GB for network files like TR docs, drivers, programs updates), a central networked laser/fax/scanner, and networked photoprinter.
One PC is the HTPC that also controls the house lighting, thermostat, security system, and has (limited) voice control, also announces in a pleasant female British voice (her name is Audrey)when the laundry is done, garage doors open and close, tool shed opens, etc.
The network media HDD is shared to our DVRs so we can see pictures, videos, and listen to MP3 on any TV in our house (and shop).
We modulate two private TV channels to our TV network, one from each DVR so my wife and I can watch separately if we want.
And having all my TR stuff on a network drive means that I can call up anything from any PC. My workshop PC has a 19" monitor - the smallest except for my laptop. Laptop is setup for mobile activities like GPS, OBDII interfaces for our newest cars, etc.</span>

Something tells me the above isn't typical of most of us ...

Say - any suggestions for folks who don't have a giant display and who don't use IE? (which I daresay *is* typical of most of us ...)

Tom

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Holy Toledo, there, Peter. You are high tech
setup. Audrey to advise when the laundry is done???

Hmmmm, wonder if I could get same/similar to advise
when it is time to stop working and go to bed.

Theres something about that English voice......

Oh, and also, since you dropped the dime on your age...
we're the same age. I'm 55 as well.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom,

That's why I use the 550 X 413. It will fit the older monitors with the 800 or 1024 display setting.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - I hear ya. But we have that "horizontal scroll" issue for many folks here, as pics linked from other websites aren't usually scaled to 550x413 (or even 640x480). And the forum software has no way of screening those linked pics for relatively small size.

If all browsers did the "automatic resize" thing, or if all linked pics were limited to width of 640 or below, then we'd all be happy campers.

Tom

PeterK

Yoda
2wrench said:

Hmmmm, wonder if I could get same/similar to advise
when it is time to stop working and go to bed.

Theres something about that English voice......

Oh, and also, since you dropped the dime on your age...
we're the same age. I'm 55 as well.

When it's time for bed, Audrey announces "I'll be shutting off the lights shortly" - usually about 10 minutes in advance. Then she tells my wife and I goodnight and then goodnight to the dog. She even knows "shutup stupid cat."

At 7:30 am she announces the date and day and wishes us good morning. Even has our answering machine covered with "we'll ring you back."

We only need ask her what is the weather and she reads us the latest forecast.

A 19" monitor is not at all a monster but more the norm for yesterdays computers. Today I see 24" widescreen LCDs more and more. CRTs are a thing of the past.

Yep, as I answer this from my workshop in the barn, we're techies.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
2wrench said:

When you move back into the real world, Audrey will do the laundry for you and go and shut that garage door for you. Don't you just hate someone nagging at you like that!!

PeterK

Yoda
NickMorgan said:
2wrench said:

When you move back into the real world, Audrey will do the laundry for you and go and shut that garage door for you. Don't you just hate someone nagging at you like that!!

If we leave a garage door open, at bedtime event schedule, Audrey informs us that a garage door is open and ask if we would like her to close it. If we reply yes, she closes it.

In my real world, I do the laundry. We're a one-income household since my job was moved out of state, so the chores are mine. Audrey helps but never nags - she has a very nice voice for a computer.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
In the real world, Audrey would clean all greasy and rusty parts to a spotless shine.

After that, we could handle the rest.

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
We seem to have drifted off topic a bit but I just discovered Photobucket has online editing including resizing. Handy dandy