• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Who sells an 11/16" sway bar?

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
Checked Moss, VB and Winners circle and I'm only seeing 5/8" and 3/4". I know a few members are running 11/16" swaybars though. Where are you sourcing them?

I have a 9/16" sway bar right now with 340lbs comp springs and stiffer tube shocks. A 5/8" would be an improvement, but I'd like a touch bigger I think and 3/4" sounds like an absolute maximum....I gather 11/16" would be about twice the resistance I have now, sounds good to me....

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
Rob,

If I were you, I'd try out the 3/4" bar first, then see how you like it. With those stiff springs, the 3/4" bar should be plenty. I see more roll at the rear than the front (resulting in a front tire lift before suspension rebuild) with the 3/4" bar and 400 lb/in springs. I now have revalved shocks, which also help in the handling department. However, I'd say that the rear bar might be something worth trying. I didn't know addco even offered it, and it sounds interesting! I'll think about it. Not sure if it'll mesh with my panhard rod (but I can always redesign that anyway).

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
yea, I'm rather curious how my car would handle with the addco kits front and rear. Not quite curious enough to give summit my visa # yet, but I'm researching!

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
Yeah, it seems like I should know a salesman on a first name basis lately ...

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it seems like I should know a salesman on a first name basis lately ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've managed to be pretty conservative with the work on the MG. My jeeps are another story: My local NAPA store is my crack dealer. I'm way past first name basis with all 6 of their employees - I can use the service entrance, rummage around the back for the parts I want and even check myself out nowadays. LOL.

Steve_Lawrence

Who sells a 5/8" sway bar?

I have looked thorugh as many sway-bar threads as I could find with the search, and I believe I want to replace my 1974 1275 Midget stock sway bar with a 5/8" one. Now the problem is finding one. It seems that everyone has stock, 3/4", and 7/8" ones, but I am not finding 5/8". Does anyone have a source?

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
don't get cought up in the "I need a bigger diameter bar " deal......

It's not only the bigger diameter bar BUT ALSO the design of the bar. The leg length and the shape all contribute to the BAR RATE in #/".

if you have room you can modify the bar with a slider on the leg or a multi position tab on the leg so as to tighten the bar up. You can also move the leg of the bar to increase the whel rate...move the leg outward on the lower a-arm of the suspension.

It is VERY hard to calc. an irregular shaped bar but easy IF the bar is straight with only a single bend for each leg. The shorter the leg the tighter the bar (for a given diamter).

Using low compliance bushings...aluminum for the locating bushings and spherical bearing rod ends for the end links.

Also you say you have 340#/" springs. You should get out your bathroom scale and see what you actually have....a lot of those 4 1/8" o.d. springs are way overrated. Betcha have mebbe 300#.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
""""However, I'd say that the rear bar might be something worth trying. '"""""

Matthew.....

Depends on how the car is balanced and how it reacts on the skidpad......if the car pushes then a rear bar adition will be a plus. If the rear end gets loose then you need more front bar. Using high rate springs and a heavy front bar (fairly high bar rate) then you might try a rear bar.

A good front or rear bar will have sliders or is adjusable so you can do your fine tuning.