• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

P.T. BARNUM SELLS A MIDGET

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Just caught some guy selling a midget on Ebay in a big fat lie.He had smoooth delivery,good pix{too good}. I asked him 2 questions, he answered back, but did not post the questions on his auction.1st Q,I asked, he gave an answer that had nothing to do with the question.2nd Q,I asked,he admitted I was correct,but justified his action by saying it was proff done work,BS,his implied description in the ad was decieving.Now some unsuspecting Ebay no nothing just hit the BUY IT NOW button. The seller is a liar and he knows it, and he has a 99+% feed back. G**D***T Ebay sucks.Freakin cheaters make it very difficult for the rest of the LBC world...PS I just wrecked my dinner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
which one is it? looked at a couple of them but being new to the LBC scene I wasn't able to pick up on the scams.
JC

OP
B

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
The wife is sympathetic, but baffled,says I am making a mountian/mole hill. Its Biz,cavet emptore and all that.
In the scheme of things, she is right.I swear I gotta stop looking at Ebay. I have a question tho, why with all the ads for Brit cars every where,do people get themselves in a position to buy a car sight unseen except for pix, in a time frame of 7 days. Where if they were to persue an ad from a web page they could get real and better info with out the pressure.I believe if you were to add up the +s and-s,ebay would come out on the short side of the question.Ebays stratigy is brilliant, I just can't figure out why.

norcalnewb

People seem to love to buy things off of ebay. I guess people just get all caught up in the auction hype and seem to think they are always getting a better deal. I know of someone who was selling a Bugeye through Craig's List that was listed for about year. He couldn't sell, and kept dropping his price more and more (it was hacked badly). He finally listed it at $1200 and stated if it didn't sell he would list it on ebay. It didn't, and so he listed it on ebay. I saw the auction and it went for over the $1200 he was asking locally.

R

Randi

you are sooo right! I gi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gifve away lots of material,cataloges,Hemmings, Round up,Locator, to people looking for or putting together their dream cars! That involves reading/Ebay you push a button. Your adreneline is flowing WIN,WIN,WIN, & you end up getting screwed,screwed,screwed. I have a very intelligent friend who wired $2,100.00 as the down payment on the Mustang of his dreams!!I did everything but shake him-wouldn't listen. Now he spends every waking minute hunting the guy who scammed him!!!Another friend bought a 1940 Ford for $12,000.00 running.........yeah if you had somone pushing it from behind! Then the vin# don't match & I have to create documents to title it-he's already got too much money involved to do anything but put sme more in it. These auctions give you little recourse because the crooks know how to get around them & "oh well" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gifRandi

Andre the Giant

Jedi Hopeful
I sold my Midget on ebay. I sold it to a lawyer from Mississippi. He has my phone number, address, email and probably other information too. 1.5 years after the sale, he hasn't sued me. I guess he was satisfied. It probably helped that I towed the car 160 miles to deliver it, included a trunk load of parts and manuals, described every single problem I knew existed on the vehicle, and actually sniffled a little bit when I handed the keys over to him.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as honest as (I think) I am. I don't think I would buy a car over ebay unless I could see it in person.

DonPete3

I just like to look at things on ebay. Ebay motors is like a virtual car show.

I also get a good laugh at some of the claims made by sellers. The one that had me nearly on the floor was a guy who called his 91 Ford Probe "RARE".

norcalnewb

I thought a running Probe was rare now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I haven't seen one on the road in years.