• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

NOJ 392 sells...

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Scroll down a bit in the article. Also a claimed works prepared car at the bottom.

That car sounds like a relative bargain with an interesting history:

This Austin-Healey 3000 MkIIA was built in October 1962 and registered that same month in Birmingham as '744 GON'. It was then sent to BMC's Competitions Department (listed as first owner in the original logbook) and prepared to Liège-Sofia-Liège Rally specification for the personal use of Umberto Pizzagalli. A frequent visitor to BMC's Cowley and Longbridge factories, Umberto Pizzagalli was the resident engineer for Innocenti, which manufactured various BMC designs under license in Italy.

The Competitions Department's in-period engine modifications included a polished cylinder head; special valve springs; competition camshaft; balanced crankshaft; a sump guard and special works inlet manifolds mounting three SU HD8 carburettors. Chassis and body modifications included strengthening the former and modifying the inner wing to aid cooling. There is also evidence of an additional cooling vent ahead of the windscreen and modifications to the gearbox tunnel. Power was transmitted via a straight-cut gearbox, complete with competition overdrive, to a 4.3:1-ratio final drive. Running gear improvements included 14-leaf rear springs, twin clutch and brake reservoirs and Minilite alloy wheels, while the interior was equipped with competition seats and additional instrumentation in the form of an ammeter.

Here's the link: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20929/lot/302/

OP
CanberraBJ8

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
She's looking pretty rough, but it would be a cool car to have. Wonder just how much rot there is?

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OP
CanberraBJ8

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Yes - been following that for a few days now - hasnt moved much. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the final minute!

I estimate that car is worth around 100k. If it doesn't hit that, it is a bargain. It will need everything and will cost about 50-60 thousand to restore but in the end will be worth 175,000 or more.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I can't wait until the day that old cars, even old rally cars, are once again washed before they are put up for sale.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
What didn't meet reserve? If you are talking about the speedster it did meet the reserve on about the second day around 75,000. The auction was pulled, probably because someone offered real money and the seller did not want to actually pay ebay their fees. I really hate when people pull the auction especially when it is only hours from ending. Lack of moral character if you ask me. It seems like people that do that did not really intend on letting the auction play out anyways.
Jim

OP
CanberraBJ8

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Hi Jim

Yes - i saw the discussion over on the Registry forum after I'd made that post... I agree with your sentiments if thats what has happened.