• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What tyres?

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Or should that be tires? for you guys over the pond?

My BJ8 still has old (but in amazing condition) cross ply tyres fitted.
Obviously modern tyres will improve ride and handling but I am not sure which size is best.
I have seen a few different sizes fitted to other cars but it seems that some owners are attempting to get the widest size possible to enhance grip.
I would prefer to get a tyre that looked right rather than just go for the widest. Is 165 width best? What profile?

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you are going for the right look, then get the 165. I beleive the profile is 78, but I am not quite sure on that issue. The best looking modern tire available in the correct size is the Vrederstein and it is a good tire with a sticky compound. I have a set of 185s on my car and I love them.

BobFrisby

The closest size would be 165(R)15. Problem is that it has a lower aspect ratio than the original, resulting in a smaller OD and maybe 1/2" less ground clearance. On a BJ8, you may have enough clearance that this won't bother you. If you want to stay closer to the original diameter, go with 185(R)15s. A lot of folks do.

I agree with your choice of Vredesteins for either size. Great tires!

My BT7 with welded-in frame sag needed all the ground-clearance help I could give it, but I didn't want the wider width, so I now have 165-400 Michelins on 16x5 rims. Probably not duplicable ---

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho
'62 tri-carb

Country flag
I gave up 9 year old Michelins for the Vredersteins (165). When compared un-weighted they are about 1/4 shorter than the Michelins. On the car they look shorter as the side-walls seem to bulge a little. On a positive note, the speedo is exact compared to the Michelins (according to my GPS). The driving is very different with the new tires. They seem a little light in the front end at speeds. I've had to reduce air to 27 front and 29 rear. (manual says less air in front) The Michilens worked well at 31 in all corners. These days we have few choices.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Mate: Tyres is Tires;

However, on original rims you wil be limited to using the 165 X 80 X 15 Tyre.

Fwiw--Keoke

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Keoke said:
However, on original rims you wil be limited to using the 165 X 80 X 15 Tyre.

Fwiw--Keoke

Naw, I've still got 195 X 75 on the back, been there since around 89 - American of course and they do fill the arches. Can't get 'em now and they are long overdue for a change - age wise. I am going for 180 x 70 replacements.

Bob

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Fellow old LBC owners,
This comes up often... but worth repeating... just because you tires look "in amazing condition" given their age.. don't trust them. After 6 years they start to degrade... and running on 22 year old tires (no matter how they look) is a very high risk if you value your car and your life. One study attributed 100 deaths a year to old tires. FWIW

Tire aging

Do a search on tire aging and you will get plenty of warnings... the enclosed is just one.

Cheers,
Steve
https://stevesaustinhealey.com

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This issue was just covered in Healey Marque. I tell people that 6 year old tires are questionable and 10 year old tires must be replaced no matter how good they "look." The easy test is to feel the compound on the tire tread and then compare the feel to a new tire.

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for all the advice.

I visited my tyre supplier this afternoon to see what they could offer.

They have Toyo 165 80 15 which are obviously the closest to the original size but I did consider the possibility of going for a slightly wider tyre.

Those of you that suggested the 175 or even the 185, what aspect ratio did you manage to get them in. Can you still get near to the 80? Or did that decrease as the tyre widens?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
those of you that suggested the 175 or even the 185, what aspect ratio did you manage to get them in.

Can you still get near to the 80?

No that decreases to 70 as the tyre widens---Keoke

BobFrisby

Sorry to disagree, but the Vredestein Sprint Classic 185-15 has an aspect ratio of about 80% ("185/80R15"). It's a great tire and a big favorite with the Jag crowd (I have them on me E-type). This is the size you want, if you are trying to come close to the overall diameter of the original cross/bias ply tires.

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho
'62 BT7 Tricarb

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
("185/80R15")--Yep this is a JAG tyre too big for the Healey--Keoke

RAC68

Darth Vader
After a number of threads on tires, I have found little performance differences between a 165, 185, or even a 195 when considering the marginally aggressive use I will give them. The primary reason for my choice of 165/80R15s was that they made the car look longer and sleeker then the larger tires (and they fit in the boot). My opinion.

Good luck in your selection,
Ray (64NBJ8P1)

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I had new set of Nexen 165x80R15 tires installed at Hendrix wire wheel earlier this week.
I read that Nexen was a joint venture of Michelin with the Korean tire company. Allen learned the same thing through his wholesale supplier.
The tires look good and are substantially less expensive than the Vredesteins. At least in the US.

Ed

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
HealeyPassion said:
Fellow old LBC owners,
This comes up often... but worth repeating... just because you tires look "in amazing condition" given their age.. don't trust them. After 6 years they start to degrade... and running on 22 year old tires (no matter how they look) is a very high risk if you value your car and your life. One study attributed 100 deaths a year to old tires. FWIW

Tire aging

Do a search on tire aging and you will get plenty of warnings... the enclosed is just one.

Cheers,
Steve
https://stevesaustinhealey.com

+ 1

While driving the Healey to a local tire shop to examine their equipment and talk to them about ordering tires, I had a Michelin tire, of unknown age, come apart on me. Fortunately, I noticed something out of sorts, a slight wobbling, (all LBC owners have their ears and senses tuned for something amiss, or the sound of something hitting the pavement), and slowed down, I was able to pull over and put on the even older spare.

I drove home, put the car on jack stands and sent the wheels and spare to Hendrix. It was money well spent.