• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What tires? tyres,tires...

JordanB

I don't care about "period" white walls. I can get white walls anywhere.
I did find a size on the tires but can't figure out the first number.

5.60 - 14

What is the 5.60? What size tires are you running on your B?

OP
J

JordanB

I need to replace the tires this year on my '67 B with wire wheels. I have a very bad feeling that the tires might be older than me. They are in good shape visually, but who knows what they are realy like.

Anyways wondering what size/brand/type tires you guys are running. I want to keep the white walls, but there aren't any easily identifying size marking on the tires.
They just say Sears.
crazyeyes.gif

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: JordanB ]</p>

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
To keep the period whitewalls you may have to contact Coker Tire in Chattanooga, TN!

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have 175/70R14s on my '66B wires.

You are WISE to worry about the age of the tires. I had perfectly new looking Yokohama 165-14s on my car when it came back from restoration. They only had about 1,500 miles on them when the front left tire separated between the treads when I was taking a long highway trip. When I took a close look, every tire had cracks showing between the treads. I'd never noticed, because I knew the tires were "new" to the car.

Tires only have about a 7 or 8 year shelf life before the rubber starts drying up.

Anyway, since I was on the road away from home when this happened, I didn't have too many options or time to think about what tires to put on. (I had to replace all four.) I ended up with Vredestein Quatrac2s, which I'm very happy with, handling wise. They are a little wider than what I had, but the same height.

I'm not sure I've ever seen whitewalls on wires . . .

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Kim de B ]</p>

Bret

Yoda
Yes I agree with Tony. Coker Tire would seem to be your choice for these White Walls. Great place for those of us in the car hobby who want to be as original as possible. Here is their web page: www.coker.com/

Personally I have tried the following on my B without any problems:

175/70x14
185/70x14
195/70x14

The only caveat here, is if you want to go larger & wider like I did. The most important thing to consider (without body modifications) is to pay attention to the back spacing of the wheels you chose. I don't have the formula in front of me at the moment but their are a number of web pages out there that show some of the different tires that some folks are running on their B's.

You are welcome to visit my web page below to see what tire & wheel comb I put on my 78B.

cheers.gif

Bret

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by XJRpilot:
what about 185/60/14's?

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: XJRpilot ]
<hr></blockquote>

I don’t think the 185/60’s should be a problem. If the 195/70’s fit these should fit too. However watch your wheels backspacing and positive off set.

Do yourself a favor and take a trip to the MG-Midget web page:
https://www.mg-midget.com/mgbtires.html

This page lists what some owners have used on their MGBs. I contributed to this survey as well.

While your at it take the link at the bottom of the page - to Skye Poier’s “The MGB Experience” web page has a lot of information various wheels that will fit your B. You might find this useful too.

thumbsup.gif

Bret

JFC

Jedi Hopeful
Bret,
I used that website as well and also contributed to the survey. Great reference page.

sailing_glayva

Freshman Member
I have 205/70/14 cooper radials on my 75 B. They were on the car when I bought it. Of course the speedo is off now. Why not check with tyre dealers to see what the actual size should be for your model? I believe 165 SR14 was the original OEM for many models.

Brian

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha,

I use "metric" radials, 165R15 on my cars, a '54 MGTF and a '58 TR3A. These are close match 6.50 x 15 bias ply tires. The aspect ratio seems to be about 80 although it is not printed on the tire. I have compared the overall diameter of these tire with sone 5.50 x 15 B F Goodrich tires and there was only about an 1/8 on an inch difference. I have seem the "meteric" radials advertised in 14 and 13 inch sizes. I am assuming these sizes would also closely match tire diameters of the bais ply tires. This of course would make your speedometer more accurate.

In my opinion the ride and handling of radial tires is greatly superior to bais ply tires.

Safety Fast,
Dave

XJRpilot

Jedi Hopeful
what about 185/60/14's?

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: XJRpilot ]</p>

OP
J

JordanB

Mahalo Dave.

I'll be looking out for you. My wife and I will be in Waikiki Feb. 20-Mar. 1.
It's nice to go back and visit once-in-a-while. My family and I used to live in Kaneohe.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Jordan,

Hope you have a pleasant trip and enjoyable stay in Hawaii. If you haven't been here in awhile you may find some pleasant changes. Waikiki Beach has been cleaned up with new sand and landscaping. As a reminder, we use the same money that you in the mainland United States, just more of it.

You can probably find thosr tires at Lex Brodie's tire stores.

Safety Fast,
Dave

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Lloyd:
Sorry, I don't know how to do the quote thing, but with 185/60's your speedo would show fater than you are going!!<hr></blockquote>

This is true – To find out what the difference is go to the following web page (mymgbexperience.com). I don’t know how accurate this is but the values seem likely.

https://www.mgbexperience.com/misc/tirecalc.html

Assuming your car was set-up for 165’s here are some of the results you’ll see stepping up in sizes.

Size tires
165 30MPH 60MPH
175 31.8 63.6
185 33.6 67.3
195 35.5 70.9

Note: These numbers are rounded up to 10th’s.

I’d recommend re-calibration of your Speedo or just do like I do and keep these values in mind when driving down the road.

cheers.gif

Bret

G

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Lloyd:
Well, I thought at least you would tell me how to quote!!
grin.gif
<hr></blockquote>

See the little quotation marks at the top? Click on them

Bret

Yoda
Well, I thought at least you would tell me how to quote!!
grin.gif
<hr></blockquote>

There ya’go! You're quoted...

thumbsup.gif

Bret

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chuck Cougill:

See the little quotation marks at the top? Click on them
<hr></blockquote>

OK id did!!
confused.gif