• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What tools for working on Healeys

wolf

Country flag
Getting the 100-6 within a couple of weeks for complete restoration and it has been over 30 years since my last Healey . What tools would you guys ( and gals ) suggest I have for working on the Healey . I already have a big hammer and a few cans of BP Baster for the rust ! thanks

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
Oxy/Acetylene torch, air compressor, die grinder, cutoff tool, grinder, 2&3/16 large socket to remove rear axle nuts, impact wrench, mig welder, engine hoist, sawzall, shear. Of course there is the necessary sockets, screwdrivers etc.

Good luck. I have never had much luck with the penetrating oils, especially on a very rusty item. A good quick dose of heat will loosen almost anything.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
stevebn2bj7 said:
Oxy/Acetylene torch, air compressor, die grinder, cutoff tool, grinder, 2&3/16 large socket to remove rear axle nuts, impact wrench, mig welder, engine hoist, sawzall, shear. Of course there is the necessary sockets, screwdrivers etc.

Good luck. I have never had much luck with the penetrating oils, especially on a very rusty item. A good quick dose of heat will loosen almost anything.
You'd better have an understanding wife and budget her expenses accordingly!!!!
I use dry ice to remove stubborn rusted parts. I'm safer with the ice then the torch. Do not use the dry ice to cool down your beer!!
Digital "point n shoot" inexpensive camera to record all the parts and their "found" locations BEFORE you take them off!! Line up lots of "parts sources" for your parts! Organized and detailed storage for all your parts BEFORE you remove the first part!! If you do not do this you will not be able to locate the part(s) you need when you need them. Save all of the parts no matter how nasty and beatup they are when you remove them because they may be better than what you can buy new today!
Patrick

Country flag
A case of penetrating oil. Kroil is a top brand, but WD-40 is not made for this purpose.

The secret about (true) penetrant oils isn't much of a secret: LET THEM PENETRATE! I would douse the car with the stuff, emtying the can each time, if you must, once a week, and then NOT TOUCH it for a month. If you follow that discipline, rounding off, or breaking a fastener will be very rare.

If you're impatient, you either pay the price, or get quite good at drilling out the remains of bolts, studs and screws and retapping them.

Yes, I too agree that heat, when properly applied, will remove just about any stuck or rusted fastener. It can also be more risky, depending on your skill-set and your immediate environment.

Here's a little item I recently picked up for when I need to undo a stubborn fastener in the presence of a car's owner (I hate to stress my customers out by attacking their BMWs with an open flame__though I do laugh at the expressions on their faces while doing so...). It also works MUCH BETTER than a torch, when modifying tools for task-specific purposes__you can pinpoint exactly where you want the heat, to make your bends and offsets. :smile:

IMG_0971.sized.jpg

IMG_1025.sized.jpg

IMG_1024.sized.jpg

IMG_1022.sized.jpg

IMG_1028.sized.jpg

Likewise, Reid also makes a valid suggestion...

But to answer your original question, if budget approximately $138,000.00 for tools, you'll probably have <span style="font-style: italic">almost</span> everything you need__NO ONE has it all!

Country flag
Timing light (the kind you can advance). Volt/amp/dwell meter. Torque wrench. Frequent the flea markets. Lots of great old tools.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
If you run into rounded off bolt heads, Metrinch can remove them.
I carry one of their 62 pc Metrinch Combo Spanner Socket & Wrench Sets in the boot.

You can find them on Ebay.
This seller currently has 10 of them. Buy it now price, $170.00 Click Metrinch

Cheers,
Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here's a little hand held "induction heater" I recently picked up.

Now that is the cats MEOW!!!----Keoke- :laugh:

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Hey Randy,

That induction heater is one tool and I DON'T have, but have a use for. Can you source it for me.

PM me if you need to.

Tim

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Editor_Reid said:
Beer, cell phone, beer, credit card, beer... :thirsty:

And at a quoted $138000.00 price: Healey Surgeons Phone number--Keoke-- :laugh:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
NAA you can do that with a torch and you are not size limited.---Keoke- :wink:

Country flag
Keoke said:
NAA you can do that with a torch and you are not size limited.---Keoke- :wink:
They include a nice piece of wire that you can wrap around irregular shapes...

... say, you don't happen to have any piercings, or surgical metal plates, do you? Pacemaker? :devilgrin:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
NAA Randy, at that low frequency it not gonna bother you.Just think you be walking around on this world with 10,000 Electrostatic volts on your head every day and you OK, long as you don't play golf in a thunderstorm or try to stay dry up under a tall tree.---Keoke-- :laugh: