• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Convenient Homemade/Altered tools

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

I have found that a few of my most convenient Healey tools are either created by me or modified for greater convenience. I was wondering what tools others had created or just found convenient.

Multi-meter%252520Extensions.JPG

To start the ball rolling, I recently posted a description of the additions I created to extend the flexibility of my $19 multi-meter gauge (Austin Healey will not turn over). Although the extensions were very easy to create, they greatly enhanced the convenience and usefulness of my multi-meter when performing such tasks as electrical fault diagnosis or voltage drop tests.

As you can see, the modification consists of cutting the original probe lines and reattaching them with spade connectors. By creating a few wire extensions, with alligator or spades at the far ends, you can mix and match to get the right combination of length, probe, or alligator for your task.

To further the gauge’s flexibility, and with a power socket already installed on my Neg-ground electrical system, I cut up an old phone power plug to use as a gauge attachment and was able to monitor the voltage performance of my alternator. This was a major advantage in finding a no-noise fan belt slip that only happened when the engine was hot and at least 2 appliances (wipers, blower motor, headlights, etc) were functioning.

Hope my modification helps someone and I look forward to hearing what other have come up with.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
These can't be Healey tools. They're too organized and just too darn clean!!! I don't see any oil/grease residue.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
For the temperature sending unit I sliced a socket down the side far enough to allow the socket to fit over the fitting while the capilary tube sticks out the slice. I then put a hose clamp over the area of the sliced socket that is covering the fitting so I can apply significant torque with the breaker bar. It really, really works!

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Rick, I used that tool far too often on my Healey projects.

Bill, your timing is impeccable. Following my read of your temp sensor extractor, I immediately received a phone call from a friend that was looking for a way to do just that.

Judow, the oil is on the inside.

Dave, I wonder if thay have a version of the 3D printer that would fit in the boot. You could eliminate the tire and any spares. I wonder if it could incorporate electrical circuits as well?

Thanks for your replies,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

richberman

Jedi Warrior
Rick,
Can you take another photo of the back of that top card showing the last three digits of the numbers....near the signature... :wink:
thanks,
rich

Country flag
Between the Healey and BMWs, I have an unrealistic amount of specialized tools, and "on the spot" modified standard tools.

Having learned the hard way with MGBs & Healeys, I decided to buy as many of the factory BMW tools that it would take to keep our cars on the road indefinitely__WHILE THEY COULD STILL BE BOUGHT! There are a good many tools that it would be difficult to improvise, if not impossible (variable cam timing fixtures come immediately to mind...).

This pile of tools services the rear wheel hubs/bearings (I've since added the handfull of pieces to include front wheel hubs/bearings as well):

zts_067.jpg

zts_074.jpg

There are many, many more...

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
RAC68 said:
Hi All,

Rick, I used that tool far too often on my Healey projects.

Bill, your timing is impeccable. Following my read of your temp sensor extractor, I immediately received a phone call from a friend that was looking for a way to do just that.

Judow, the oil is on the inside.

Dave, I wonder if thay have a version of the 3D printer that would fit in the boot. You could eliminate the tire and any spares. I wonder if it could incorporate electrical circuits as well?

Thanks for your replies,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Tell your friend not to turn the nut more than a flat before repositioning the sliced socket back to the starting point. Mt tool will still overstress the capillary tube if you twist it too far.

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Bill,

Your creation brought to mind a tool I had forgotten about. Back in 1989, I created a tool that helped me de-install my stubborn temperature sensor. I took an old cheap long socket and cut a slit its full length that would easily accommodate the capillary tube. I then welded an old wrench to the side without the slit and used the tool as a relatively closed open-end wrench. Since the capillary went straight through the sock, no kink risk was present. Since the socket was completely slit, your idea of installing a metal hose clamp would have greatly reduced the tool’s stress flex. Although I only used it once, it was lent to other Healey enthusiasts and I soon lost track.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

D

Deleted member 8987

RAC68 said:
Hi Bill,

Your creation brought to mind a tool I had forgotten about. Back in 1989, I created a tool that helped me de-install my stubborn temperature sensor. I took an old cheap long socket and cut a slit its full length that would easily accommodate the capillary tube. I then welded an old wrench to the side without the slit and used the tool as a relatively closed open-end wrench. Since the capillary went straight through the sock, no kink risk was present. Since the socket was completely slit, your idea of installing a metal hose clamp would have greatly reduced the tool’s stress flex. Although I only used it once, it was lent to other Healey enthusiasts and I soon lost track.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Same design they use on oxygen sensor sockets, for the built-in pigtail. Socket with a slot.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
a crowsfoot spanner does the same job

Not on the temperature sensor

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
RAC68 said:
Hi Bill,

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

I thought about doing something like that but wanted to keep as much socket strength as I could. I first tried my sliced socket without the hose clamp and it started to flex open. I could see that was not heading in a good direction, so I applied the hose clamp and all was well.

sjuengst

1/2" socket extension ground down on two sides to fit oil drain plug.

IMG_5280.JPG

daily

howdy folks,
a while ago i had to replace an accumulator piston from o.d.[in car]
this requireing an ''internal expanding puller'' i.e.unavailable.
found the perfect tool in the cork stopper dept.@ hardware
just seated with a good shove & extract with a cork screw

with respect 59er

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I did the very same thing for the tranny oil and differential. Although I had to sacrifice an extension, but it paid off.