• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Tools?

Marmoset54

Country flag
Upon my recent purchase of this TR6 seen below, my stepfather ( a Welshman from Swansea) has offered to buy me some tools for the TR6.
I’ve messed around with a K5 Blazer before but this will be my first LBC.

Any tools or tool sets fit for a man’s graduation present?

thanks!

Attachments

• 3A60B4AC-513E-4577-BB53-0B17E437AB43.jpeg
    3A60B4AC-513E-4577-BB53-0B17E437AB43.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 51
OP
M

Marmoset54

Country flag
Just to get started, what tools do you already have? hand tools, volt/ohm meters, vacuum and pressure gauges, etc.
Zip. Zero. Nada.

Traveled light in the military. Moved around too much to really accumulate much. Now coming to terms with the notion of setting down roots in one location. Weird.

RGK

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The basic's; socket, open/boxed end, allen and flared wrench sets, straight and phillips screwdriver, pliers, channel lock and vice grip pliers, wire cutters, work light, cordless impact wrench, test light, smart test light(I like the PowerProbe), should get you started.

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I like spending other peoples money so: ratcheting wrenches! You’re going to have a pretty long list soon but that car looks very nice so you can probably stock up in installments. If it’s a good runner then maybe concentrate more on troubleshooting equipment.

OP
M

Marmoset54

Country flag
I like spending other peoples money so: ratcheting wrenches! You’re going to have a pretty long list soon but that car looks very nice so you can probably stock up in installments. If it’s a good runner then maybe concentrate more on troubleshooting equipment.
Thanks! Yeah, I have the DEWALT 192 tool set plus the ratcheting wrenches on the list.

Car is great from what I’ve seen. Only issue was a fuel smell but believe that’s been addressed.

Looks like rebuilding the engine and carbs. Send off headers. There’s a list!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks! Yeah, I have the DEWALT 192 tool set plus the ratcheting wrenches on the list.

Car is great from what I’ve seen. Only issue was a fuel smell but believe that’s been addressed.

Looks like rebuilding the engine and carbs. Send off headers. There’s a list!

You could just about disassemble the whole car with the two things you just listed. Some "screw-sticks" (screwdrivers) in different lengths, Phillips and slot-head to go with 'em. A 12V test light can do a good number of jobs electrically without needing to get fancy with timing lights and a volt/ohm meter. But if you plan on going through the engine yourself, things get a bit more complicated.

And as Ken noted, the metrics are excess to requirement, unless you somehow later found yourself with an Alfa Romeo or Porsche of the same vintage, well... odder things have happened. 😉

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The acquisition of "things" (particularly tools!) is an insidious process. Once you start, there seems to be no end of the things to find useful or "maybe" useful in the future. A ½"-drive 36" breaker-bar has its place, various size hammers are useful... THEN the need for storing the things becomes: "Well mebbe I should get a bigger toolbox".

"And the beat goes on." :D

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Oh. Lemme tell you about my “acquisitions” regarding my firearm hobby…Jesus. Great. More things!
mehheh... you're gonna fit right in around here! 👍

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I love a high quality multimeter - something like a $$$ fluke. I've never looked back on the $24 cheapos from Radio Shack and the big box stores. Buy it once, keep it for life.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I love a high quality multimeter - something like a $$$ fluke. I've never looked back on the $24 cheapos from Radio Shack and the big box stores. Buy it once, keep it for life.

No doubt a VOM is a worthwhile instrument. I've my dad's Triplett 3030 (Bakelite case!) and his Simpson 303. Both analog, they still work fine. Most times though I'll grab the hand-sized generic digital now for most automotive jobs. Electronics projects are a different animal.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No doubt a VOM is a worthwhile instrument. I've my dad's Triplett 3030 (Bakelite case!) and his Simpson 303. Both analog, they still work fine. Most times though I'll grab the hand-sized generic digital now for most automotive jobs. Electronics projects are a different animal.
A ~Good~ VOM doesn't cost.... IT pays for itself! My Fluke has always come through when I need it.