• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vredestein tires on my Healey

kch

Earlier I asked the forum about tires to mye Healey 3000. I used Michelin ZX, and was very satisfied with them. Then I bought new 6" wire wheels and needed new tires. I wanted Avon ZZ, but they were impossible to get here in Norway due to new dealers on Avons. I ended up with Vredestein Sprint Classic 185/70/15. A modern tire which looks vintage.
I am very satisfied with these tires.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Karl, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif I run them too and they are ok!---Keoke

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have them on my Healey too, and I like the classic look. Son't know if they are readilky available in the Satates anymore?

Rick60

I have the same type of tires on my Healey and like the look and drivability. The guy in my local tire shop told me, that Vredestein doesn't recommend to drive the Sprint Classic with tubes, which makes it illegal (at least in Germany) to drive them with tubes.

The reason for that is a chance of air being trapped between tire and tube during installation, which could escape while driving.

I had mine installed some month ago and luckily didn't experience that kind of problem (by now).

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]

The reason for that is a chance of air being trapped between tire and tube during installation, which could escape while driving.

[/ QUOTE ]
With spoked wheels it is likely that any trapped air will quickly leak out through one or more of thr 48, 60, or 72 spoke holes in the rim. Folks have purposely tried to seal the spoke ends so that they can run tubeless. This seldom works for more than a short time.
D

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
No problem, my wire wheels are tubeless.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's great. What happens when you have to re-tension the spokes?
D

OP
kch

kch

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No problem, my wire wheels are tubeless.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's great. What happens when you have to re-tension the spokes?
D

[/ QUOTE ]
Ops, I haven`t thought about that. The spokes can be tensioned from the outside, and I don`t think that the rubber seal goes into the nipples. But I am not sure.
These wheels are new, and with my driving I dont think that this will be a problem. I never had any problems with my 60 spokes (with tubes) wire wheel, and the new ones are 70 spokes, but also wider. Time will show /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Two qustions

1, Why bother avoiding fitting tubes. They dont cost much , they last a long time and they seem to keep the air in better than tubeless. I very rarely have to top mine up with air.

2. Eric. How much did you pay in euros for your tyres. I like the look of those classic tyres and Im thinking of getting some myself

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dave, it seems that this set of wheels has been designed to run tubeless.If you look closely you will see that the valve stem is firmly seated in the wheel rim.It just may be that the closure is a bonded rubber band that does not impact the turning of the nipples from the out side.Using SS spokes would render them as serviceable as tubes in tires.Very interesting would like to know who supplied the wheels.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Derek, a good set of tubes,Calsico, here in the US cost about 50 GBP. So they are not so inexpensive anymore.---Keoke

OP
kch

kch

Yes, these wheels are designed to run tubeless. I did`t know that when I ordered the wheels. After looking at Chathams DD300, and som other Healeys with 6" wheels, I just wanted 6" wheels. The best is probably to run 6" wheel back, and 5,5" front.
I ordered the wheels here in Norway, but they are delivered thru SC Parts. (they are less expensive than steel wheels for my 1994 BMW 525 TDSA)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Rick; it seems that the concern in Germany is that a punchure will be generated if the tube is pinched between the rim and the tire. I agree with that,but that is no different than generating a punchure from a foreign object picked up on the roadway.It just may be a subtle way to make the WW Vendors update WW wheels to modern specifications-Tubeless.--FWIW---Keoke

Rick60

Keoke, talked to a WW vendor some month ago on a fair. He's the importer for Dayton wheels here in Germany and was aware of the problem with the Vredestein tires. He told me that he's in close contact to Vredestein. He's endeavored to "persuade" Vredestein to take back their statement about the Classic Sprint being dangerous to be used with tubes.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thats good Rick, some one needed to intercede,because I have been runing them with tubes for the past 10 years and their argument just does not hold water.--Cheers Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif