• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question about Vredestein Sprint Tires

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
It is time for new tires for the 4A and I have settled on Vredestein. I have a choice between the Sprint + (Plus) and Sprint Classic. Does anyone have any experience with either one? The Classic is the authentic-looking tire and more expensive. The Plus will supposedly handle better and last longer, but not by much. The Plus does have a more aggressive profile.

I guess my main question is whether the Plus will look funny on chrome wires for a sporty 60s car. The old car tire vendors sell both, but I would like to see what they look like installed. If anybody has a set of either on their car and can direct me to pictures, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I'm very pleased with the look of the lower cost Vredestein 165 R 15 tires on my 1958 TR3A steel wheels. I have about 15,000 miles on them.

G

Not much help here. I bought a Vredestein for my TR6 spare because it was the only tire that matched the height of my 4 Michelins on the ground. The Michelins are too wide to fit into the spare tire well in the boot where the Vredestein fits perfectly. My point is, nice looking tire that it is, they is expensive little suckers!

OP
CinneaghTR

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Thank you for the replies.

Don, the man who owns the local tire shop has a TR3 and has the Sprint + tires installed. If you two are fine with them, I should be, too.

For 165R15 tires, the Vreds are in the middle pricewise. The Kumhos are on indefinite backorder at Tire Rack and the old car vendors have Michelin XZs and even redline Federals.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I bought mine three years ago on the advice of a BRG TR3A owner in Maryland.

Ask him directly : - doncumberland AT comcast.net Change the "AT" to @ and deleate the spaces.

D

DougF

The Sprints in my experience are an ok tire. Avoid rain, poor wet traction. They are a much harder compound than what I am running these days.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don Elliott said:
I bought mine three years ago on the advice of a BRG TR3A owner in Maryland.

Ask him directly : - doncumberland AT comcast.net Change the "AT" to @ and deleate the spaces.
Don, funny, bought my first pair back in the 70,s in MD for the Lotus cortina. Loved them. Didn't know they were still around.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Check out the Kumho tires. Fairly low cost and good in the wet and dry. Have them on my Wedge. run the high performance summer tire because it's a summer car.

TR3AD

Freshman Member
I've driven on Vredesteins for the past three years and have had no issues with them. The purist in me prefers the look of a classic tire on a classic car.

wingsandwheels

I have put the Vredestein Sprint Classics on 2 TR6's so far and am very satisfied with them. I put the 185/70-15's on one and the stock size on my current car. I was looking for a period look with (relatively) modern performance. They are a great looking tire for the Tr6.

They handle well (certainly better then the fossilized Michelin's they replaced), ride well and are decent in the little rain the car sees. The tires also seem to hold air very well....they have minimal loss over the winter. They do seem to wear a bit faster than some tires, but not excessively and I am more than willing to trade that for the positives.

I would and more than likely will buy them again.

Rgds, W

D

DougF

Kuhmos. Good tires that are well priced.
Look at the Tire Rack site, www.tirerack.com. You can read buyers feedback and find out how tires rank within each category. The rankings are of course limited to the brands they carry, which is quite numerous.
I have been buying tires from them for several years and have been quite happy. Good product, good service, good buying experience.
They are also a supporting vender of BCF.

D

DougF

Check on line for a local outlet that carries Kumho.
Forty dollars is an excellent price. But remember you will have approximately $10.00 shipping and then mount/balance charges. Find a shop that doesn't charge an extra fee because you didn't buy the tires from them. Tire Rack has recommended mounting locations on the site.

D

DougF

Back to the Vredstein. My first TR6 came with them. They were a nice substitute for the redline. Economically priced, and a decent tire that matches the originals well for size. But again, they are a vintage tire with '60s-'70s technology.
A lot has changed in modern tires with various rubber compounds and tread patterns. I was always a bit on edge while driving my TR6 on wet roads until I purchased Kuhmos. They channel the water well and I don't experience vague handling or hydroplaning. I drive my car 6-8,000 miles each season and have gotten caught in plenty of bad storms.
I run a 205/60-15, so I'm not concerned about "original look".

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Got mine at Discount tire. If there is one near you. Basically match Costco in the Warranty

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
CinneaghTR said:
It is time for new tires for the 4A and I have settled on Vredestein. I have a choice between the Sprint + (Plus) and Sprint Classic. Does anyone have any experience with either one? The Classic is the authentic-looking tire and more expensive. The Plus will supposedly handle better and last longer, but not by much. The Plus does have a more aggressive profile.

I guess my main question is whether the Plus will look funny on chrome wires for a sporty 60s car. The old car tire vendors sell both, but I would like to see what they look like installed. If anybody has a set of either on their car and can direct me to pictures, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

I have these on my "B" and love them. I don't race it or drive aggressively and this tire gives a soft and comfortable ride with plenty of grip. Vredestein Quadtrac 2. They have directional tread.
PS, These were ordered directly from the manufacture in Holland.
mgtire.jpg

mylesw

Jedi Hopeful
Apart from the Vredesteins, are there any other suitable (cheap) 185 tires out there? I have the Kumhos on my Healey but am fitting Minilites to my TR4 and am looking for a wider tire to give it that more "agressive" look...

Thanks

Myles

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
I fitted Vrederstein Sprints to my TR4A in the late 80s/early 90s and they were great. I can only assume that the present tyres are as good or better.