• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge 'Vette seats in a TR7... any chance?

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Good evening...
A friend of mine sent me an Email today asking me if I would be interested in two seats from a '72 Corvette he is getting rid of. They are black vinyl and not a mark on them. He knows of the problem I have with the drivers seat breaking so he thought of me.
In his note, he didn't give me any measurments, but I will get them on the weekend.
Does anyone here know if they will fit without a lot of drilling and such? or has no one heard of these seats being used?
Thanks for any info.

Paul

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
As one with both C3 Corvette standard seats and a TR7...trust me, you won't like the Vette seats compared to the TR7s. The TR7s are much more comfortable. After a 90 mile ride in a TR7 I was fine -- but more than 30 minutes in a C3 (and I've owned 4 of them) and my back is toast.

Furthermore, the '68-82 Corvette seats (and certainly the '68-75 seats) are much more prone to bending and breaking. The hinge mechanisms are not very robust. My '69 has a definite tilt to it.

In terms of size, the largest problem will be they won't look right. You'll definitely have to drill holes for the tracks to fit, but they probably will wedge in there with just minimal clearance. They are fairly wide, quite tall and very flat.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Paul. I think you should get the seats, and install them in the '7.
It seems to be accepted that a Corvette engine transplant into a TR7 is cool, why not do the seats too?
Personally, I'm doing a Rolls/Merlin into a Sprite, and just haven't made up my mind yet if I'm going to do a Martin-Baker seat, or an ACES II.
Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
WOW Jeff, I never thought of transplanting the engine too. Don't think he has it, but a 454 banger in the 7 sounds like it would work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif
Please share your vast knowledge with me and tell me how to start the conversion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Good luck with the Sprite, sounds like it would be a real "cool pimped ride."
Also, I guess Sam answered my question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif but thanks again for the tip on the engine.

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
haven't made up my mind yet if I'm going to do a Martin-Baker seat, or an ACES II.
Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Definately go with the Martin-Baker, keep it British /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Paul, I think your sarcasm level is approching the optimum, so here is how to proceed.
1. Obtain one surplus F-4,
2. Remove engines and seats.
3. Install in LBC of choice.
4. Remember that the pointy end of seat must face up.
5. Enjoy.
Jeff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

V

vagt6

Paul, I'm with Sammy on the old 'Vette seats, they're not all that comfortable. A friend of mine has a '72 Vette with the stock seats, they don't have much lateral or lumbar support and are heck on a long trip.

Have you considered Mazda Miata seats? They fit into Spits and GT6s, although a bit large for the cockpit, they're a good choice for some folks. Maybe TR7s, too?

Just my 2c worth, I hope it's helpful.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul, no idea on the vette seats, I did the TR6 with Saturn SC seats. The wife and I spend the good part of a day going through a new car junk yard and found these were the best with only one modification, bending the front slides straight, the max width was 21 inches on the six, but what a difference in ride, leather, lumbar and tilt with side support. So check your width, if you stuff a pair in you won't get the movement you are looking for. Wayne

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
A buddy of mine had a 1974 vette. The seats looked cool but were horrid. Turned your butt to tears in minutes. I installed Geo Tracker high back bucket seats in my 1975 TR. They are very comfortable. The rails needed some work to sit flat though...
good luck!

Jeff

TR7/8 TPI

Jedi Hopeful
I have installed 2002 Celica GTs seats in my TR7 project. It was a bit of a pain to mount the tracks but the width is perfect and they look and feel better than Miata seats.

My seats installed

TR7_039.jpg

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I must say, I still think that is one of the best web sites I have seen RE: TR7's. Your restoration process is somthing to dream of being able to do.
Thanks all for the ideas on the replacement seats. Miata seats really arn't an option, as there isn't much chance to find a doner around here. There was a Fiero being parted out by me, but the seats had six different coloured stripes as the patern.. ICK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

I will take a look at some Tracker seats though.. there a plenty of those around the wreckers, as are Saturns. My Dad had a Saturn, and the seats were covered with almost as ugly a patern as the Fiero patern though, but I am sure they arn't all like that.
The DPO brass welded both seats in my 7 when they broke the first time, and I had the drivers seat re-done last winter, but where it breaks is where it gets the most wear and tear, especially getting out of the car. I would miss the red / black tartan though.

Bugeye... You have always been a great source of information on this board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Thanks for the great posts, but you know I couldn't put the Martin-Baker's in, being a hardtop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Paul