• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What seats do I have?

warwick-steve

Jedi Hopeful
Hi all
It seems I have two different seats in my BT7. The drivers (RH) seat is much deeper at the front, the metal base having webs to increase the front height. This means that the front of the seat is higher than the passenger seat.- Is the drivers seat a bucket seat?

I note that the AH Spares catalogue includes only one type of metal seat base, presumably the lower one ( passenger LH side).
The Austin Healey Service Parts List includes
- cushion assembly - bucket seat
- cushion assembly - cushion
Do I have one of each?

I only discovered this as I decided to replace the old foam cushion in the passenger seat as it had sagged. It looks as though the drivers seat has a fairly new foam cushion.

Another question please, - Having removed the leather cover from the old foam, do I apply adhesive over ares of the new foam to stop the cover sliding?

many thanks
Steve

Attachments

• Healey seats - 1.jpg
    Healey seats - 1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 130

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Steve

I have replaced both foams in the front seat cushions and I plumped for sticking the centre portion of each cover onto the foam with contact adhesive.

It is to be said that it was a temporary fix as both seats have covers that have been made by an amateur, that was around 2011 - I have not got around to replacing them with the proper thing yet, :highly_amused: but they are holding up fine.

:cheers:

Bob

OP
warwick-steve

warwick-steve

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Bob
Thanks for that
The PO had the seats recovered in 2010 but for nostalgic reasons incorporated the original and worn (patinated?) pleated seat inserts into the new covers! One side had a new foam insert but the other used the old, now disintegrating foam. I will replace with new foam and will as you suggest use a contact adhesive.

I would like to know the significance of my two different seats. I have the original purchase document which shows the original specification which does not mention anything about seats, so how I ended up with the two different seats is a mystery. Are they both original types I wonder?
Steve

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Seat sizes - I can't help you on that one - - - - unless - - - - has the left hand one collapsed at the front? The photigs give me a distinct impression that the left one has more of a 'turn over' underneath at the front.

When I stripped my pans I found them all shapes - sides buckled, front bent over etc. a front corner was remade, along with a couple of sides - just to hone my welding skills and to save a bob or two.

Bob

OP
warwick-steve

warwick-steve

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Bob
The left hand one does not seem damaged at all. Definitely not collapsed. The front of the right hand one seems to be the same basic pan design but the ribs and associated "skirt" makes the front deeper relative to the back of the cushion so providing more of a bucket effect. The parts list does show two different styles of cushion so I am presuming I have one of each type.
Steve

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Steve

That is interesting.

What parts list are you looking at ? I can find reference to different cushion foams for the the (BN6 - BJ7) and BJ8 but that is about all.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ahh I can't help you with that one then. I have only the parts list for BJ7 and BJ8 and that is the American version.

Somewhere down the line some one must have standardized on one size as the repro firms that I have catalogues for, have a single one size fits all 'cept for the BN4 which is wooden.

Bob