• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

valve train oiling

jtb55

Any info re the alingment of the fead to the valve train. The factory manual indicates that one should mark mark it prior to disasembly. When I did this it seemed that the hole in the banjoy was 180 degrees off. I seems to me that the hole in the bango should line up with the fead. thanks jtb

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jtb55:
Any info re the alignment of the feed to the valve train. <hr></blockquote>
If you are starting from scratch, align the shaft with the feed hole in the #3 pedestal & screw in the shaft locating (banjo feed) bolt lightly but fully. This will keep these critical parts in alignment. Assemble the rest of the parts on the shaft. do not remove the banjo bolt until all pedestal hold down bolts are tight.

If the shaft is already assembled, turn, slide, move the shaft until the banjo bolt hole aligns with the shaft hole & screw the bolt in lightly, but all of the way. Then bolt the pedestals down. When everything is firmly bolted down, remove the banjo bolt & add the banjo oil fitting. Start both ends of the oil pipe before tightening the ends.

If you do not do this & the feed hole in the shaft does not perfectly align with it's pedestal hole, the threads will strip in the pedestal before the banjo is fully tightened. (The bolt bottoms out on the misaligned shaft hole) You cannot align the holes once the pedestals are tightened down. If the threads in the soft aluminum #3 pedestal are at all damaged replace the pedestal now.

Also, be sure that the shaft end plugs do not seat so far into the shaft that the end rocker feed holes are obstructed. If they are, trim a bit off the inner ends of the plugs.
D

OP
jtb55

jtb55

Thanks Dave. Your advice was on point. I would like to visit with you when I am out visiting our daughter in Boise. thanks jtb
smile.gif
smile.gif

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Valve Train Lubrication Austin Healey 1
S TR2/3/3A All new valve train - no adjustment at rocker arms Triumph 12
C Ford pre-crossflow valve train Other British Cars 2
bertl TR2/3/3A TR3 Valve Train Pedestals Triumph 5
chrpark disassembling/cleaning valve rocker train Spridgets 5
M TR2/3/3A Valve Train Noise TR3A Triumph 2
thechileman Valve train noise Triumph 11
T Valve Train Failure Triumph 30
Z Noisy valve train in rebuilt motor? Plus pics... Triumph 4
E TR6 TR6 Valve Train Specs Triumph 0
D Valve train noise Triumph 14
M Valve Train Clearance Spridgets 14
78Z Lotus Engineering's Fully Variable Valve Train Lotus 8
J New healey 100 owner start up Q'S . Valve train Austin Healey 6
sim looking for 2 valve spring kippers for a 948 Spridgets 3
R Valve Drain Pipe Austin Healey 13
R T-Series Valve gap for an MGTD 1953. MG 5
6 Valve Oil Seals Spridgets 10
K TR2/3/3A Cylinder head removal and valve adjustment Triumph 2
P TVR Big Valve 4.3 TVR 0
Erica General MG Oil Drain Valve -- mine is an MGB, but they have others MG 3
J MGB BRAKE VALVE ? MG 11
jehuie PCV valve explanation? British Motor Corp 5
R 3000 Heater Valve Austin Healey 4
T TR2/3/3A valve springs Triumph 15
kodpkd For Sale Alloy valve cover for AH 100-6 3000 PRICE DROP! Austin Healey Classifieds 1
T TR2/3/3A valve guides and piston clearance Triumph 6
kodpkd Valve Cover Gasket - Don't do this! Austin Healey 14
KVH General Tech Heater control valve/cable Triumph 1
KVH General Tech Valve Timing--No Marks Triumph 20
newmexTR3 For Sale TR2-4 performance valve springs, collars, exhaust seats, cotters Triumph Classifieds 0
D Water Valve Connection Austin Healey 4
R TR2/3/3A Rule 9 Valve Adjustment Triumph 8
RJS General TR Lever Shock - HD Shock Valve Triumph 2
JPSmit Product Review - air compressor drain valve. Harbor Freight Restoration & Tools 9
M TR5/TR250 Bypass valve Triumph 27
I Bugeye valve rebuild suggestions Spridgets 8
G Valve Cover Gasket Silicone Adhesive Austin Healey 5
J Oil Pressure Relief Valve Austin Healey 3
K TR2/3/3A An alternate valve adjusting sequence? Triumph 3
K TR2/3/3A Camshafts and Valve Settings Conundrum? Triumph 7
charlie74 TR6 ā€˜74 valve springs Triumph 0
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A What type of valve to use when rebuilding the head? Triumph 10
tj_tr3_tr6 TR4/4A looking for Machine Shop TR4 Valve Job Ventura - Los Angeles area Triumph 4
M TR6 PDWA valve Triumph 6
M Ray Juncal Valve Covers Austin Healey 5
M 1973 TR6 oil and filter changed - oil shooting out from high pressure valve? Triumph 15
BillyB62 TR2/3/3A Anyone seen a valve cover like this Triumph 0
alexisrexx TR6 Oil Sludge in Valve Cover - Normal? Triumph 16
K TR2/3/3A Brake Restrictor valve? Triumph 9