• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trying to locate

BrettSutherland

Freshman Member
I'm trying to locate a very rare 1954 Austen Healey LeMans that a room mate of mine had in Toronto back in the early 1960s. The VIN is BN1L152555. What we knew about the car back then was that it had been Grant Clarke's race car. There were apparently only 4 '54 LeMans imported to North America of which 2 were 3 speed transmission models and 2 were 4 speed with the reverse British pattern with #1 located up and to the right. This was one of the 4 speed cars. This was a Left hand drive car. The last time I saw the car, it was loaded on a flat bed and heading for the owner's home in Fergus, Ont. The owner at that time was Ken Armstrong, and we shared an apartment in the King and Dufferin area of Toronto. We had pulled the drive train in the underground garage in the apt. building and I remember lapping the valves on the head in our living room on the coffee table.... how can you tell we were bachelors ?? One distinguishing modification that had been done to the car was that someone had taken two 1956 BUICK Portholes and mounted them so that they delivered fresh air to the area of the carb intakes.

Not that I could ever afford to acquire this car, but I am just trying to track it down if it is still out there. I sure HOPE someone has restored it.

Brett Sutherland
WINDSOR, Nova Scotia

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Brett

Just the other day my father who is now 80 plus asked me if this car was still around in the Austin-Healey club of Southern Ontario.He told me a customer used to bring it for service at his shop in the 1960's. I think the shop back then was called Checkered Flag on Alcorn Ave just off Yonge street.

Mark Doust
1961 Austin Healey
1959 Fiat Abarth

OP
BrettSutherland

BrettSutherland

Freshman Member
Thanks Mark ... nice to know someone else still remembers it ... I do remember seeing a polished 56 that Peter Klute was driving ... but yours is the first I've heard of it since I last saw it in about 1963 or there abouts. On it's last run that I know of ... it lost it's left rear wire wheel on the Danforth .... the night after we took the exit off the Gardiner at Dufferin at about 70 mph .... ahhh to be young and invincable again ..... sigh

Brett

OP
BrettSutherland

BrettSutherland

Freshman Member
I'm just wondering if there is someone on the Board that might be in the Fergus area and might have known Ken Armstrong when he was growing up. When I knew him, he was working as an X-Ray Tech at Toronto Western Hospital. His parents (father's name was George, I think) were residents of Fergus. Ken would be in his 60s at this time... .if he is still with us. I do remember being taken to see a 1937 Graham Paige coupe in Fergus while visiting one weekend. Ken had a penchant for strange cars .... he also owned a BERKLEY 4 wheeler ... 3 cylinder 2 stroke ... fiberglass body, front wheel chain drive with sequential gear box. The car weighed in at about 650 lbs, had a complete belly pan and molded in seats 4 wheel independent suspension. We used to go out on the Gardiner and draft VW Micro Buses ... could also drive along beside tractor trailers and read the hour meter on the trailer axle as we were along side :smile:.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
BrettSutherland said:
but I am just trying to track it down if it is still out there...

Here's the contact info for the 100M registry. Perhaps they know of the car and current owner.

WORLDWIDE 100M LE MANS REGISTRY
Bill Meade
533 Cedar Drive
Watsonville CA 95076
(831) 722-3253 (phone and fax)

For owners of 100M models and series BN1 and BN2 cars fitted with the "Le Mans Engine Modification Kit." Identification guide, membership directory, certificate, dash plaque, grille badge and jacket patch.

Cheers,
John

OP
BrettSutherland

BrettSutherland

Freshman Member
Thanks !! I gave the Registry a call, but there was no answer ... but I left a message on their machine .... I will post back when and if I get a reply

Brett

OP
BrettSutherland

BrettSutherland

Freshman Member
Thanks John .... I dropped them a note

Brett

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Brett

I will be seeing my father on the weekend and ask him some more questions. Guess what my father lives about 1/2 north of Fergus.I will let you know my finds.

Mark

OP
BrettSutherland

BrettSutherland

Freshman Member
Fantastic Mark ... wouldn't mind hooking up with Ken again .. been a Looooooooong time !!

Brett