• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge TR7 Rear end wobble?

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Over the last week or so, when shifting my '78, I have been hearing a clicking coming from the right rear around the rear dash. I thought perhaps it was the wood shelf I have my speakers in rubbing against something, but I moved it out of the space and it still made the noise.
Today, friends of ours were here, owners of a Spitfire and an MGBGT, and I let him try out the 7. About a minute in, when up-shifting, I noticed something weird from the rear end. It seemed like the left side wheel was spinning faster then the right side wheel, thus making the passenger side, where I was sitting, jut out. It did this with every up-shift. We quickly turned around and came back home. We crawled under the car and tried to see if we could see anything amiss, but didn't notice anything. The sway bar is fine, the shocks seem fine in the rear, the springs are OK. Tomorrow morning I am going to take the cover off and check out the rear damper for damage. Might I be on the right track or could this be something regarding bushings?

Paul

swift6

Yoda
Yes, if there is excessive play in one of the bushings. It sounds like your getting some rear steering effect going on. Quite possibly a bushing problem. I've just been reading 'The Complete Guide to the Triumph TR7 and TR8' by William Kimberly. In it he talks about how the rear bushings are a known weakpoint and a compromise in holding up for long periods and lower noise transmission.

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Shawn. I happen to have that book somewhere down stairs here. Time to dig it out.
Good timing here.

Paul

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I got under the car this morning and I found all the bushings to be in good condition. (haven't found that book though), but I noticed something that may be causing it:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/KLUTZP/ab6ce22a.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/KLUTZP/2bd1e71e.jpg

I had noticed some separation a long time ago and this may be no worse then before, but this is the area the trailing arm attaches to on the passenger side. When I grip the arm and yank at it, I get no movement though, like it is still firmly anchored to the body.
What I did notice though is that when I put the car on the jacks and started it in first gear, the driver side wheel spins, but the passenger rear wheel tries to spin but just gives jerking motions. If I help it along it spins about two turns then stops again. Are these wheels independent of each other or are they supposed to spin the same?
That could also be a reason the passenger side feels like it is jutting out.
The Diff. I can live with and replace, the trailing arm... Well.. that would be a big problem.

Paul

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Your diff is doing what it's supposed to do, as far as what you see the wheels doing. That trailing arm mount area, on the other hand, is a big problem. If I were you, I'd get some good welders to look at it RealSoonNow, while it's on a trailer or flatbed. You do NOT want to continue driving it that way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

swift6

Yoda
I

Gotta agree with Andy, thats a common weak spot from tin worm on wedges. One of the first places I looked at when I inspected my wedge. Unsafe to drive like that.

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Re: I

Well, I took out the seat and the carpet to get a look at how bad the area was in the rear floor, trailing arm area. Well... kinda what I expected:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/KLUTZP/ca9da54d.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/KLUTZP/f16ce353.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/KLUTZP/bfa025d3.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/KLUTZP/30cf4bbb.jpg

Now...
I can do my own welding as I have a Mig. and have done all the work on my MGB (Floors, sills, rockers etc.) But I could really use some instruction from someone who has repaired this area. Ordering from the UK is out of the question $$$ wise, so I will fabricate my own repair panels.
So....

Anyone?

Thanks

Paul