• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge TR7 PI Relay ECU etc locations

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Trying to cut down on searching time since I know nothing about these cars. Does anyone know where the ECU, fuel ejection relay / injector relay is and if there is a fuse in the circuit somewhere. I can get the fuel pump to run by using a separate battery and in fact the car will run with that. So there must be something not working properly to start the fuel pump working.

This is a 1980 California car now in Ohio.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Here is the circuit for the fuel pump. The two relays are part of the "combo relay", I believe (I'm not sure where that is on a TR7). As you can see, if the starter is running, there is only one relay and the inertia switch that could affect power. Once the starter is off, the airflow meter also comes into play.

Some people continue to claim that the oil pressure switch plays a part, but I've found no evidence of that for the FI TR7/TR8.

-Darrell

Attachments

• 26427.jpg
    26427.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 332

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The relays are mounted with the ECU. Also check the nerf switch near the clutch M/C.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dale I see you have a 81 TR7. Is that the same system as an 80? The Haynes manual shows 2 different wiring schematics..

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Any way to test these relays? Also they were just hanging above the ECU area. They have mounting tabs so are they mounted somewhere from the factory?

Attachments

• 26436.jpg
    26436.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 293

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The blue one is the starter relay,the black is probably a headlight motor relay.
If you look carefuly thier is a second black on. They are norally mounted to the sides of the fusebox. To be sure if you pull the blue one the started will not turn. The black one will cause one headlight to not raise.

philman

Jedi Knight
i have a combination relay if you need one...

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Have you tryed to reset the inertia switch for the fuel pump?
The shop manual refers to it a few times. It says to press the button on the top of the switch.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've been looking for the inertia switch for some time now. Can't find it in the Haynes manual, parts list or the down load. It's only mentioned.

Interesting that both the relays have the same diagram on them but are for different items and all are hanging loose under the dash. Even the seat belt warning box is with them and the manual shows it in the glove box.

This car has had a lot of work done to it in it's 101k miles. I'm sure this area was worked on before and was never but back properly. The PO said the heater vent on the passenger side is stuck open so there you go.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Went page by page with a 1980 shop manual. Learned alot..just not where the inertia switch is. Last resort trace the wire from the pump. Assuming the pump is in the original position back by the tank under the car. Good luck and keep us posted.
By the way, neither of the relays that you pictured was the "combined relay" in the pump circuit. that one would need more terminals and internal coils.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I did try to look again for the inertia switch with no luck. I'll try the wire trace. While I was looking I tried to crank it and it did not crank without the blue relay. It's 40 degrees now so a bit to cool for me to be working outside. Tomorrow another day.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Found on a different forum someone said on the left inner fenderwell near the clutch MC. Black plastic box with button on top. Alway thought I wanted a FI car. You are making Me like my carbs a little more. Happy hunting

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Said it on this thread if you look back 11 post.
If you need a real pic of one let us know.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
No wonder I couldn't find the inertia switch. It's not there. If the connection is corroded (those green and yellow wire go to the fuel pump) that may be my problem. If not and it does not look bad may be in the relays since the air meter comes in after the starter is turning and the engine starts. Correct?

Attachments

• 26452.jpg
    26452.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 296
OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If it's the blue relay that is bad should I be able to switch the black on out and have the car start? The diagram / drawing is the same on the top but the numbers on the side are different.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You should see my other brackets!!
Anyway it looks like the fuelpump relay is bad. I jumped the light green & whie wire with the brown wire without the relay out and the pump ran. Now I need a relay. There is a Bosch # on it 0332514121. Hopefully someone has it.
As you can see someone has been in the relay before. It was closed with super glue.

Attachments

• 26462.jpg
    26462.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 266

HerronScott

Darth Vader
RockAuto shows that as a $57.79 part used in a few other cars around 1979-1982 (Alfa, BMW, Fiat, Renault, Lancia) but it's a special 2-day order item.

Scott