• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A - Four letter word

JDstr4a

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Yes it's rust. I started cleanning up where the mouse nest was (passenger side shelf) and found three holes. I'm not sure what the bolt in the first picture is for, but being in the corner seems to pose a problem. The firewall rust spots look like they may have been patched once. My question is do I cut or just clean and cover? I'm not planning on a body off at this point, just begining triage.
Thanks
JD

IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4399.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'll vote for "clean and cover", but with something that offers some structural strength. For example, JB Weld & fiberglass cloth seems to work well, on a more-or-less temporary basis.

IIRC, I did this patch around 1987 and it was still holding fine after the car was totaled in 2005. But it also has some "roofing tin" in it.
https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/TS39781LO/Driverpedalarea.jpg

OP
J

JDstr4a

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Randall. Any idea what the nut in the first picture is for? Just trying to figure out how much of a job to get it out of the way for cleaning. I'm not sure if that's a low spot or was just caused by the straw retaining moisture. Any recommendations among the rust treatment products for the seams etc? I'm pulling the tank this off-season for a POR treatment and thought of using the prep and getting some paint for this.

JD

Country flag
JD, would have to look at my TR4 but thinking that is a welded nut in place that a brace underneath the dash goes to. Clean and etch the rusted area. Heavy coat of brushed on primer (the POR will work) followed by color coat of your pick, should hold you for a while.

Marv

OP
J

JDstr4a

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Marv. Now all I need is time and more beer. :cheers:

D

djwoody

Marvin Gruber said:
thinking that is a welded nut in place that a brace underneath the dash goes to.

Yes, that's exactly what the nut is. I recently noticed I was missing the glove box support brace, found one on Ebay and installed it last weekend.

OP
J

JDstr4a

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
I'm hoping to drive, drive drive! She's about to break 20k and has set so long (14yrs) it seems a shame not to add some miles. So for now I'm in maintenance mode. Just trying to get her road worthy and repair the issues from neglect. Plans for this off season include:
remove and seal gas tank,rebuild carbs and paint intake
replace brake lines (just because)
clean and repaint wires
repair exhaust (dual)
replace windshield glazing and body rubber (dried and cracked)
new carpet, windlace, and refurbish seat leather
repair heater cable (seized like bonnet release was)
various other little cosmetic items
No other rust issues that I know of other than the two in the previous photos, which is where the mouse nest was
dullard004.jpg
. I'm assuming the straw retained moisture and got it started. Hoping to check it's growth and wait for a major mechanical need before considering a body off.
JD

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So a bit of alternative advice here - just pay someone the $150 to do the rust repair. If you aren't going to take her apart again soon you may want to just do the patch and be done with it. If it is truly confined to those areas it would be fairly easy to patch (awkward perhaps) and that way it is done once and over.

OP
J

JDstr4a

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll pull the remainder of the carpet and check the rest of the floor and shelf and take her to the body shop for a quote. (I'm not allowed to play with sharp objects.) :wink:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Those really don't look too bad. I think you're right about the nest holding moisture in that one spot, depending on how the car sits water can stand there after a washing.

The second spot (if I'm seeing it right) is where battery fumes have eaten into the firewall -- also a common complaint. You should be able to get behind that one by reaching into the vent.

OP
J

JDstr4a

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Good points. Which bring another question to mind. There ere a few holes in the shelf where the nest was that were covered with tape. Are there any strategic spots where holes should be left for drainage?
JD

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Hmmm -- holes there would drain into the passenger footwell. Water only collects there (rats' nests notwithstanding) when the vehicle is parked pointed up hill so mainly (for me) it is a matter of being sure it's dry before putting it away.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
JD,

Do you mean holes on the "upper" shelf up from where the rust spot and welded nut are located (where the chassis tag is located)? There might be an additional 2 holes in that area for the original speaker bracket.

As Geo said, no holes for drainage.

Scott

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Holes may be there for the aluminum Chassis Plate (2), the green STC Tag (2, though perhaps not all cars have one), the brake line clamp (1), and the noted radio speaker if one was fitted (the 2 screwheads w/ washers):

EngineBayShelf.jpg

OP
J

JDstr4a

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Here's the shelf. It's the two holes on the right edge that had electrical tape over them. I'm missing the chassis tag, but you can see where the rivets were now that I've run over it with a wire brush. Can't imagine what the original owner had there.

DSCN0277.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
JDstr4a said:
Here's the shelf. It's the two holes on the right edge that had electrical tape over them... Can't imagine what the original owner had there.

Perhaps a pair of brake line clamps? Mine had just the one (more centered) but know reason to think they were all like that.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Here is mine. Brake lines run on drivers side on 4A. I have the body # plate, two speaker screws and on the upper right side you can just see the two heads of screws in holes that were there with rubber plugs that I used to hold the OD relay to the passenger upper left footwell.

shelf.jpg

OP
J

JDstr4a

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Guess it could have been anything (mice adding a second story, fire extinguisher tool kit...), so I tink I'll just pur screws in when I'm done with the rust. Thanks all for your input!