• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Oil Pressure Gauge Leather Gasket ??

SPACER

When I removed my TR3A oil pressure gauge, I noticed there was no leather or rubber gasket on the pressure line where it attaches to the gauge.
So I assembled it without one.
Then read other non TR3 posts where a leather gasket is used.

Should there be one on the TR3A and if so, what does it look like?
I have not seen any on the usual supplier catalogs so perhaps I can cut one if needed.

Thanks,
Bob

ShawnC_at_Moss

Jedi Hopeful
Bob,
We carry it. It is a 435-515 but I don't see it on our TR2-4A website but it is in our current catalog - Page 94 item 18a. I have attached an image. If you need one send me an email at shawn@mossmotors.com
435-515_1.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Should be there, IMO, otherwise the joint will tend to drip oil while you're driving. It's easily overlooked though. Don't recall the size offhand, but I found a nylon flat washer that fit, and worked well for me.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #003300">I found a neoprene o-ring that fits perfectly at our specialty hardware store. 5 yr. with no problems for me.

Frank </span></span>

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting! So, are there supposed to be gaskets at both ends of the flex tube under the bonnet?

John

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I would replace that line with a braided SS one, I never liked that plastic tubing, was always afraid it would split and all the oil would get pumped out and then major engine damage

but thats just my opinion

Hondo

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Awhile back after becoming aware of this part from reading this forum,I looked at the mating surfaces and you can clearly see the seat faces have a gap for the washer.
I just made one from good gasket paper.Punched,I believe,a 1/4 hole,then a 3/8 hole around it.If you punch the small hole last it tears.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hondo402000 said:
I would replace that line with a braided SS one, I never liked that plastic tubing,

Huh? What plastic tubing? Original TR3A had no plastic in the oil pressure line. And while the braiding on the stock line was only copper, it still lasts basically forever.

dklawson

Yoda
Plastic tubing isn't inherently bad such that it would burst. However, it does become brittle with age and of course you have to worry about running it next to heat or bumping it accidentally where it goes into the fitting.

I managed to destroy a plastic gauge tube on the Mini while working on the engine and have since replaced it with a copper line kit. On the Spitfire the oil pressure gauge was not stock but I added one. For it I bought a braided oil line kit from Summit. With any of the generic kits (nylon, copper, or braided hose) the fittings will be different than what you find on the Smiths gauge. However, I have always found that a wrap of Teflon tape on the gauge's male threads allows the 1/8NPT female fittings in the kit to seal nicely.

None of this addresses the original fittings and the leather/fiber washer. Like Randall, I would fit one whether it is homemade from gasket paper, a nylon washer, or purchased from Moss.