• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 electric fan question

bfitz

Country flag
I'm going to put an electric fan in my TR3. Is there a brand that is more suitable than the others? Also, has anyone used the "fin insert" thermocouple? Are they dependable? I'm leaning towards a VW style fan swith in an aluminum isert in the lower radiator hose. My sole concern is dependability and parts availability. Thanks for the input.
B

G

The absolute best quality electric fan on the market, IMHO, would be the Spal brand fan. You can check out their complete line at spalusa.com. I prefer a sensor that actually is in the coolant fluid itself. An excellant place would be to insert it in the coolant downpipe, by having a bung welded into the pipe. Simply cut a hole in the metal downpipe, select the proper sized threaded bung and have a good welder TIG it into place. The sensor can sense the temp of the coolant at one of it's coolest places (which is what you want) and can automatically activate the fan, as well as can be wired for a manual override.

Good luck.

Bill

OP
bfitz

bfitz

Country flag
Bill,
I agree. Those fin sensors don't really do it for me. What type of sensor are you using? I like the Spal automatic controller. I'm definitely looking into that.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

I agree with Bill about the sensor, put it into the coolant via some sort of connection. I prefer the coolant return line, measuring the temp of the coolant as it comes out of the radiator (i.e., the lower hose). The temps should be relatively stable there and that should turn the fan on and off at the ideal times. I also wouldn't rely upon the type that clips into the radiator fins. The type that slips under the end of a radiator hose seems to me to be asking for leaks, too. There are many different brands of sensors & thermoswitches, but they all do basically the same thing. I'd suggest one that comes on at no more than 185F and turns off at around 170F. There are some with higher ratings, many modern engines are designed to run hotter, but TR engines like to run cool.

Spal is a good fan. The 14" should work very well, some like to go as large as 16". I think the 11 and 12" sold by some TR vendors are a bit borderline, if used alone. Might be okay as a supplement to the stock fan, though.

I see www.racerpartswholesale.com is carrying the entire Spal line, now, and seems to have competitve prices. There are other good brands out there, too, so you might check www.summitracing.com, etc. Your biggest challenge is the thickness of the fan if you are mounting it as a puller, behind the radiator. There is little clearance with the cross tube between the spring towers. However, one Spal model is just slightly over 2" thick. Another, with slightly higher output, is about 3.5", which actually fits in my TR4 (same setup as your TR3 basically).

What are you planning to do about the original fan, hub, belt and pulleys? If you plan to remove them, I suggest a thin belt conversion with a harmonic dampener. The fan extension hub also serves as a dampener, normally. The extension can be left on, just removing the fan, to continue using the original belt and pulleys.

Also, do you have an original generator? If so, watch out for high amperage fans. The Lucas generator produced around 17-22 amps at best, and some fans use more than 10, 12, 15 amps themselves. Doesn't leave much juice for other things like the wipers, headlights, ignition system, etc.

I'm not sure about the Spal controller module. It's really designed for use with AC, I think, to kick the fan on at lower rpms as soon as AC is turned on. I guess it can be set up for lower rpm operation intially, even without AC, higher if engine temps begin to climb, so the fan might run a little more quietly. (Curved blade fans are generally quieter than straight bladed fans. However, some curved blade fans don't produce as much air flow.) I think a simple on/off thermoswitch is adequate. A controller box is just one more thing to go haywire, IMHO.

Are you having cooling problems? If so, I suggest going through the system pretty well anyway and not depending upon an electric fan to solve problems. It might cover them up for a while, but they tend to show up again eventually, usually at the worst possible moment.

BTW, my electric fan is hooked up with a self-resetting circuit breaker, instead of a fuse. That just makes sense to me. I'd hate for a fuse to blow and leave me stranded (although I usually carry plenty of spares).

Have fun shopping!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I always overheated. In 1987 to 1990, I restored my TR3A. It still overheated despite installing the air deflectors that surround the radiator. When I bought my car brand new in May 1958 it didn't have the air deflectors. They only started to put them in a few months after mine was built. So in 1991, I had a new core put in the radiator. Now it would only overheat when I was stopped in traffic for about 3 to 5 minutes.

So I put in a 12" diameter Kenlow fan which I bought during a business trip to England. I like to keep my car as original looking as possible so I installed it as a "pusher". It's in front of the radiator. See attachment. I made the brackets you see in the attachment because I thought that the long screws right supplied with the fan that mount it through the fins of the rad were a "Mickey Mouse" design.

I never installed the thermostat. I have a switch hidden under the dash which is connected through a relay to the fan. I manually flip the fan on when I'm stopped in traffic and I watch the temp gauge. When I'm back up to speed, I turn off the fan. On 2 or 3 ocasions, I forgot to turn it off when I parked the car and I can hear the fan whirring. This reminded me to turn it off.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1919/ppuser/4127

Attachments

• 195242-Kenlowe2.jpg
    195242-Kenlowe2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 69