• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Top Webbing on TR3-A

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Mornin Folks:
Is the frame webbing always black or should it be the same color as the top? For instance I will be putting a Tan top on my car, should the frame webbing be tan also?

Thanks, Tinkerman

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dale,

This may not help you but the original webbing on my 3 was a off white cotton color (probably dirty). The top was originally black. I replaced it with black seat belt strapping. I am also very guilty of seeking immediate availability and functionality because I drive it.

I am hopeful that one day I'll get around to that frame off historically correct rebuild. More than likely that will be when the center of the frame splits (bends) in half, starts scraping on the pavement, and I will have to buy a new one.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

D

DougF

The original off white cotton webbing is difficult to find. When I was installing a new top on my 3 ten years ago, I couldn't find it. I looked in craft shops and other sources, but ended up with black.

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
According to the TRA Concours guide, most of the side screen cars came with "light tan" webbing. The only variables were the very early or very late cars.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The Roadster Factory carries a 'natural' webbing (I would call it off-white) for TR4s... p/n RFK818. It was just a bit whiter than the original webbing on my TR4.

Looks like the webbing on a TR4 is about 46" long, I do not recall if it came in 2 pieces or one long piece nor do I know if this is long enough for a TR3 (don't have mine handy to measure).

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
I have an old "Hood stick" and its has an off white cotton webbing.

I put VB black webbing back on my TR3A with new hardware and its doing good. The length of the webbing though does dictate how tight the top will be and how pronounced it will push the top up.
Thanks.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I notice the plates/brackets to hold the webbing down is 2 styles - angled ends and squared off ends. Which goes where?

I also see TRF shows pop rivets as part of their kit, yet also includes small screws in the hardware kit. So which do you use?

I assume you wrap the webbing down and back over the front hood stick rail and come back over the top, correct?

Thanks in advance,

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
My 1958 TR3A came new with a tan top and sidecurtains. The tape was also tan. That's what I put in again in 1990 when I was finishing my restoration.

Use the screws and small plates as shown. Those are the original plates and they go on every cross bar of the stick-hood.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Hey Dick, I still have one original one on my car. It is a greyish/tan, like khaki color on the side that shows when top is up and black on the inside. It is also not like seatbelt fabric. It is more like canvass and is folded under about 1/8" on each side and stitched. My car, a '61, sat in storage since the 70's. I also recall my previous '59 had the same type fabric. In fairness, I assume they could have had other suppliers and different styles of fabric and my car has a black top.The small metal plates have tiny oval head counter sunk screws. I replaced the other one with something close...I have no intention of entering it in shows. Emailing you some photos.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Dick, when I got my car it had a black top with yellowest dirty white webbing. I put a tan top on it and replaced the webbing with an off white color from the Roadster Factory. This was many years ago and they still look good.