• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Top to window seal problems

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
OK I'm back after spending a good amount of time trying to get the window seals installed. No Matter what I do I can't seem to get the rubber seal to press up against the glass. I'm not sure what I might be doing wrong but I'm at a loss. I was hoping someone could take some good clear pictures showing the side of the window. I would like to see how the top looks where it veclros to the frame and then also some good clear pics on how the rubber seals and channel meet the window. I would appreciate if anyone can do this. Got caught in the rain the other day and water was getting inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif Also does window close up against the bottom of the channel or side? Maybe my frame is bent?? theThanks

G

Jerry,
Adjusting a top to be a really good fit can cause a, well, fit! There are a number of things that can be adjusted on the top as well as the windows themselves. First off, the hinge mechanism that bolts into the B pillars is adjustable for starters, as the receiving nuts inside the posts are floaters. This will give you some latitude in the whole position of the top. Also, the tighter the top fits on the frame, the better off you are. I have actually resorted to un-gluing the front rail (by pulling slowly and hard for a long period of time) and restretched the top by 1/4". The tightness of the top dictates how good the frame arches and the fit of everything. Next thing to look at, and it is a PIA, is the attitude of the windows themselves. You will have to remove the door panels to get to them but the frames that hold the window glass are adjustable as well as the whole position of the glass. You can actually make the glass move fore or aft with adjustments. TRF sells an extra large piece of rubber sealant that will glue right next to the stock front glass rubber seal on the windshield frame that will seal the front of the window glass nicely and not look out of place. You have to ask them for it. Also, sometimes frames are just plain worn out and need all the fasteners redone.

Hope this helps.

Bill

RomanH

Jedi Knight
There is another item that is adjustable that Bill did not mention they are the channels that hold the seals in place over the door glass. I have just spent the last couple of evenings installing new Velcro on my top frame so this is all fresh for me.
Before I did this my windows would not seal either. The channels that hold the seals are adjustable both fore and aft and inboard to outboard. If your seals are not contacting the glass then you will want to move the channels outboard assuming the glass is positioned correctly.
Remove the rubber seals from channels and then loosen the screws holding the channel to the frame. Adjust the position, reassemble and check the fit repeat as needed.
The window should close against the side of the rubber seal and not contact the channel at all. The profile of the seal that looks like the barb end of a fish hook should face out.
Good Luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

OP
jerrybny

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
Bill, have you found any instructions on how to adjust the windows? I looked in my Haynes and Bently books and neither have any instructions on out ot move the window in or out. I'm guessing I need to move them in as I have put the channels as far outward as I can and there is still a gap where the glass should touch the rubber. Thanks

G

Jerry,
Take the door panels off and look inside. I had to change my channels and completely rebuild both mechanisms so I got a feel for how the windows work. It might behoove you to take your windows apart (I know this seems like a PIA but really not that tough. Also a good time to grease the lower channel and inspect your lateral channels. They are available new and really not that expensive.) All the bolts are adustable and therefore the whole thing is adjustable.

Bill