• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tips on Installing Stereo

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Looking into replacing the broken nasty tapedeck that is currently installed in my 74, obviously it won't be original (but a change I can reverse if I ever want to) - I would like to install a CD deck with aux/usb inputs - Is there any size/space issues with newer decks compared to older decks ? I have never installed a car stereo so any advice is appreciated, also if anyone knows of a cheap online source for a deck let me know !

Thanks

Country flag
Most CD players are too deep, and need to be spaced out by about 1/2". You might look for a unit without CD player, just aux/usb.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I was able to get a Sony CD Player to fit, now 10 years old so not sure on new unti spacing, but I did need to have bottom of console titled up a little and there is a 1/2" gap at back at bottom. Not all that noticeable. Never use the CD anyway typically running the XM Radio.

sswarin

Country flag
Hey Jim,

I'm, slightly hijacking this posting, but please tell me about your XM radio experience in the Midget. What XM do you have? Is it a portable or do you run it through the installed radio in the Midget? Where do you mount the antenna? I have no radio in my Midget and I am looking for options.

Thank you.

Steve

OP
Jer

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up about the CD depth issue Trevor, I just ordered this unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-XR4110-3-5-mm-Mechless-Receiver/dp/B002OMB7FE

For $36 it will do what I needed, reviews seem positive as long as you have realistic expectations, figure it's worth a shot.

Ageed, I don't need a CD player, easier for me to shove an SD card or USB stick in instead, should make the drive to the 50th event a bit more enjoyable...

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Jer,
XM needs some sort of FM radio as it has a built in FM Modulator. You can find radios with XM/Sirius built in but $ more. Antenna is magnetic mount and fits in center of back deck on the angled part. XM swaps between Bugsy and "Duane" 94 Suburban - Big Dumb Truck used to haul boat several times a year, otherwise parked. Bracket is installed with double faced tape and fits below console Speaker Grille but up high enough that I can still eject a CD. Pics below are small but you can see CD Player, XM, and Digital Speedo Display sitting on the top of the dash. With the Headrest Speakers in the Miata Seats it sounds great. Radio Margaritaville or Blues Channel that's where it stays. 3 XM Radiosx 3 cars = $38 a month but no commercials on the music channels.

Attachments

• 25536.jpg
    25536.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 206

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Takes a little adjustment and hand positioning on shifter but no issues in shifting for me.

Country flag
Honestly, what I like to do is wear noise isolating earpbuds plugged into my iphone. This allows me to hear the tunes well without cranking up the volume, and I can still hear what is going on around me without being deafened. AND I can hear my phone ring.

tweety

Jedi Trainee
I just installed one of the Dual units in my 1978 B. So far so good. It does hook up to an amp so sound quality is fine. It's very compact, very easy to use. It would definitely fit into the console of a Midget.

I did take my dual apart and sprayed it the same color as the console (the grey color was a little off, I was spraying the console anyway so now it all matches nicely.)

The display is BRIGHT..... That's my only complaint so far.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
A couple of us in this area also have that Dual unit in our Spridgets and are happy with them-
Best part is that no car radio thief would steal them, they are too cheap but they work GREAT!
BillM

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I have a plain fm, cassette radio and a 6 disc changer in the trunk. Also I found a wireless cigarette lighter plug in mp3 player for less than 10 bucks on Ebay that I tend to use most often. Just tune to 87.7 and it comes in with no wires and it works in any car with an fm radio and a cigarette lighter. You can plug an Ipod into its port, or just use a thumb drive or plug in a sandisk chip which is what I did. If I had gotten this first, I would have never install the 6 disc changer.

OP
Jer

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks all for the confirmation on the Dual unit's - heh ya I read online that the display is a little "bright" as well...now my nasty interior will be well lit ay night time !

tweety

Jedi Trainee
I'm racking my brain to figure out how to dim the blue lights a bit..... The ones behind the buttons should be easy. The LCD display itself is the tough part.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Double check the wiring harness that comes with the unit. Many modern units have a line in that is intended to be part of the car's illumination circuit. While the Spridget doesn't have said circuit, you should be able to fabricate one fairly easily by adding a potentiometer to the wiring harness.

I have done this both in a 944 that had the circuit, and a Jensen Healey where I had to fabricate it myself.

Jody

K

KSIS

The best solution I had in a 62 VW was to wire a Ipod directly into a small amp. I used the head phone jack with a red and white splitter. You cold do the same and use an original radio.