• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Time to replace my top,,experienced recommendations welcome

Country flag
My 1980 MGB rear window became hazed over about a year ago, and recently dropped out of it's stitching. So I will need a replacement top. I see different ones in the $250 range on ebay, some with the zippered rear window like mine(even though I never once unzipped it), others without. So I need some recommendations as to which ones hold up the best is very hot and sunny weather.

Also a local shop that does convertible top installs said they charge between $350-$450 for the install. While the price of the top itself seems reasonable, the install price seems high to me. I think I paid around that price for a much larger one on an automatic top. Any thoughts/opinions?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Look for a Robbins top. No matter the installer, the top and the rear window material will withstand Florida climate beyond ANY bargain counterfeit!

Been fitting Robbins tops to any and all drop-tops both personal and clients for at least forty years. They just ROCK.

...and I have NO financial interest with them.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
A good installer can do it in around 2 hours +/-. You can do it yourself with a bit more time and not rushing it. Try running with the window unzipped. Makes it much cooler in the summer heat. Bob

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Install is certainly something you can do yourself, but I'll admit I had my local upholstery shop do the one on my last MGB. Price you were quoted is similar to what I paid for mine.

Running with rear window unzipped was great on the hot days -- lots of air flow and shade.

mgbtopon.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
All ya need for the job:
hoodinstall1.jpg

Cuppa and a good cordless drill. :jester:

Along with a PopRivet gun, some chalk (for marking a centerline and the front edge rail alignment), the Tenax tools or a paper punch for installing the rear fasteners.

GaryBeu

Banned
AND...if you unzip the window when you put the top down it doesn't crinkle it so it lasts longer. Carla and I replaced ours in an afternoon with no prior experience. It was no problem and it looks good.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Prestige in the UK makes a nice top also. The mohair one, on our car, is very well made and because of it's thickness, quiets down some outside noise. Good people to work with. A little pricey, but excellent quality. PJ

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was able to do mine easy enough and I have never done anything like it. A big Healey on the other hand iv heard to take them in. They seem a lot more complicated. I enjoyed my zip out window. Try it out once in awhile.

OP

Country flag
Thanks for all the replies thus far, as they are very informative.

I am a handy person, but my time is limited, I am a perfectionist when it comes to me doing tasks, and as I get older, I seem less interested in doing projects on the cars. However if it is as easy as everyone is sounding, I might be willing to tackle it, especially if the going rate for install is $350+

It makes you wonder though why the price would be so high for what sounds like a relatively easy install?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
111, The price includes a replacement if they screw up. If the weather had not been nice today, I was going to say I would fly down and do it for you (sick of rain and ice). A round trip ticket from Charlotte would be cheaper for you, I think??

Wayne

daviddlong

Freshman Member
Country flag
If you do decide to do it yourself, one method to get it tight is with heat. Attach the rear portion as usual. Attach the front of the top to the front of the top frame with cloths pins or whatever. Then, close the windows and put an electric heater inside the car (I put it on the battery shelf with the seats folded forward) and let it run for 2-3 hours. The top will now be pliable. Attach the top to the front of the top frame with only mild to moderate tension. Finally, leave it alone for a fortnight. DO NOT PUT IT DOWN DURING THIS TIME BLOCK. It is still a fussy job. Good luck