• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

theft preventing tips

Dennis P

Jedi Hopeful
Get the B off the streets. every rdstr and convertible I have had got vandalized in Brooklyn. We moved. Yes, do not lock doors, per a NYPD buddy. It only leads to broken glass, etc..GEt a garage; it is cheaper than repairs or theft.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I find a 12 guage shotgun to work pretty well...It is amazing how they react when they hear the "chink-clack-chink" of the slide action on the pump somewhere in the dark around them!

G

if you follow Tony's advice, make sure you park on a large well grounded piece of steel. copper would be better

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
there ya go, chuck...saving me again...&, you know i don't know nothing about no stinkin' 'lectricity...but, when he's down from the shock, a baseball bat finishes the lesson on respecting the property of others!

adam90009

Jedi Warrior
Hey I have a 79 MGB and I've only had it for about 1 month. I have to park it outside and i have already had the valve covers for the tires stolen(yes the plastic ones) and all the air let out of all the tires(done on different)nights. I just put a brand new cd player and brand new speakers and I dont want anything to happen to them. Does anyone have any tricks for keeping their MGB safe?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You have a neighborhood vandal who's having fun with you...he either doesn't like you or the B...&, there's no way to keep items inside a convertible safe from the unscrupulous.cloth top after all...except by hiding them....

...you could use motion detectors to turn on a light right over the B, a motion alarms that yells for him to "back off, punk!", put it in a garage, etc...no reason to lock the doors, he'll just cut the top...

...or, you could just hook up about 220V of electricity to the car so that when he leans over to mess with something & touches metal, he gets zapped!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
You can leave it at *my* house....we don't even lock our cars....just leave the keys with me in case I have to move it (heh heh heh
devilgrin.gif
).

j/k

The best thing is probably a hard-top, if you can afford one. I've seen junky-looking ones for as little as $300 at flea markets (but they can be hard to find when you're looking).

I got one of my cars (Midget) because it was trashed by theives stealing it's *AM* radio!....the previous owner was so distraught, he sold me the car cheap. The car was locked, but as stated above, that's a waste of time.

Occasionally, I drive to the car-theft capital of America (Newark, NJ)...usually in my Miata. When I do, I always park in an open, well-lit area...even if I have to walk 15 blocks to get to where I'm going. Or in a paid garage area. Pick a safe parking spot, even if it's a long walk...you need to move your car from it's present spot anyway, since vandals have already "noticed" it.

Honestly, at the moment, you're tempting fate with your new CD player...I'd remove it unless you improve your parking situatuion....stinks, I know, but that's the truth of the matter.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Chuck...45 ammo is too valuable to waste on an auto vandalizer...plus, you really want to see them squirn in pain..up close..for a long time!

G

that's why I favor the big dog approach, and the hounds like to ride too

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Think I'm gonna bring a black/white Siberian Husky with blue eyes back from Alaska..teach him that all my MG's belong to me & him alone (except for Miss Jeri's Glacier White '70 GT) & that he should eat anybody else who gets within arms length of one!

G

my big red dog feels that way about pretty much everything. the postman won't leave mail unless she's in the house and the ups guy won't leave packages on the front porch. I usually find them laying on the parts car. She's really a big baby though, just likes to bark and look ferocious

61Alpine

In high school (back in 1969) my friend had 3 car stereos stolen from one car. So we rigged up a 110 volt wire to junk stereo, disconnected the ground and battery. Hooked up a transformer between the wall and the stereo. I don't know how many volts we had but a couple of mornings later some poor smuck tried to get his stereo. Must have shocked the crap out of him because he hid his head on the rear view mirror or something and there was blood all over the car. Never did have a problem after that. By the way it was an 8-track player.

BirdofPrey

Freshman Member
I have a BIG Blue Pit Bull that loves to ride in the MGB and hates everyone ,but my wife and I. So he is a great "car alarm".

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 61Alpine:
In high school (back in 1969) my friend had 3 car stereos stolen from one car. So we rigged up a 110 volt wire to junk stereo, disconnected the ground and battery. Hooked up a transformer between the wall and the stereo. I don't know how many volts we had but a couple of mornings later some poor smuck tried to get his stereo. Must have shocked the crap out of him because he hid his head on the rear view mirror or something and there was blood all over the car. Never did have a problem after that. By the way it was an 8-track player.<hr></blockquote>

Back when I was a kid, someone in my area did something similar to this, and the thief was electrocuted. There was a murder conviction.

Ractr6

Country flag
I usually install a battery disconnect in a out of the way location in the car...
That stops anyone from taking the car.. The stereo is a different problem. Removable units or hidden stereos will work. I find that booby traps lead to extensive body damage in Canada...

PS I never lock my car if it is a soft top... the only person who has an advantage in that scenario is you local parts shop.
hammer.gif

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RACMGA:
I usually install a battery disconnect in a out of the way location in the car...
That stops anyone from taking the car.. The stereo is a different problem. Removable units or hidden stereos will work. I find that booby traps lead to extensive body damage in Canada...

PS I never lock my car if it is a soft top... the only person who has an advantage in that scenario is you local parts shop.
hammer.gif
<hr></blockquote>

You wouldn't know what a soft top was if you fell on one.. Heck you don't even have a windshield on that thing.. So you couldn't use one if you had one..

savewave.gif

You guy's and gals should do what I do.. Park your car in the garage and leave your wife's highly desireable " goes faster than everyone else " car as a decoy in the driveway..

The little criminals never get as far as the garage..

lol.gif

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I find that booby traps lead to extensive body damage in Canada.

Booby traps are actually illegal...remember criminals have rights...seriously...as stupid as it sounds you could face serious charges setting up a booby trap...let say it killed someone...you would be tried for premediated murder...no matter what someone steals from you it's not worth going to prison for...
hammer.gif

I know it sucks...better to use the flashing lights...car alarms...big dog...whatever...but don't go the booby trap way...unless you are willing to accept the consequences...
nonod.gif

Happy Holidays...
cheers.gif