• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The "Triumphant" ones should know...

198686d

Jedi Trainee
The "Triumphant" ones should know...

what's the difference. Have AH BE Sprite. Looking at TR2's & TR3's. I know very little. You guys know a lot. I'm fairly obessive about everything working well.

Opions appreciated.

dave in University City,MO
61 BE Sprite
20004 Mini Cooper S
2004 Vespa ET4(?)

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Re: The "Triumphant" ones should know...

Succumbing to the implied flattery...

Though I wouldn't say I know a lot I think I can offer the view that in stock form the TR will offer more power and more room. Also, you can actually open a lid and get into the boot!

As with a Sprite "everything working well" is pretty much up to the owner and his/her willingness to prepare an maintain the car to a reasonable standard.

Both the Bugeye and the sidecurtain TRs are great. I have driven many miles in the company of Sprites and they seem to be fine for drives long and short though a TR with an OD would be my preference for long long trips.

Twosheds

Darth Vader

Difference between what and what? TR2 and TR3?

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag

According to Webster, a sprite is "a disembodied spirit", while triumph is "to obtain victory".

It's hard to argue, though taking either side could be entertaining.

Aside from Webster's obvious preference, I think ownership of either is purely an individual selection.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I've never driven a sprite, really like the bugeye though, but looking at the performance indicators I'd say the biggest difference you'll note would be low end torque/power that extends thru 4800 rpm. My basically stock TR3 (87mm pots but most have that now) not only stays up with modern traffic but I usually am passing them.
Same old Brit ride as most LBC's but I've found the TR3 to be more reliable than my Healey was (electrics work for Gods sake) and the motor is stout and very forgiving.
Do get an OD or one with the 5 speed Toyota tranny as that extra gear means 3000 rpm and 75+ mph...very easy highway cruising.
They ain't exactly waterproof but you probably know that having had an LBC yourself.
The weak point, IMHO, is the steering. Some here will tell you a properly rebuilt worm/peg box is really nice. Maybe, but mine ain't and it's gonna be a R&P soon. They didn't put 17 inch steering wheels on 'em for looks.
Great tough LBC with pre war character/looks and the grunt you don't often find in LBC's.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

Apple: meet Orange. Orange: meet Apple. Now go to your corners and come out fighting. And may neither one win.

In other words, there's no comparison. Back in the day, Sprites were very much entry-level sports cars: basic, light, decent power-to-weight ratio, very tossable and enjoyable. TRs weren't quite the opposite, but they certainly were significantly upmarket: bigger, more powerful, somewhat better appointed, arguably a bit less of a "toy"!

Presumably you already like the Sprite. There's a very good chance you'll like a TR2 or TR3 just as much but for very different reasons. Over the years I've driven several of each, along with Spitfires, GT6s, MGAs and MGBs, MG-TDs and MG-TCs, and a few others (notably Datsun 240Z). Don't ask me to pick a favorite; I always found plenty to like with every one of them. Choosing any of the above on a given day might depend on mood, barometric pressure, stress level, who's on Letterman that night, where the Dow-Jones sits, etc., etc.

Of course, it's all much easier if, like Jay Leno or other big-time collectors, you can "have them all"! But from what I've seen on his web site, Jay seems to get almost as much of a kick out of his Fiat Topolino as he does his modified Toronado...or anything else in his fleet.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

Hi Dave - so, hmmm, I have one of each so I might be able to shed some light here. Keep in mind that both are projects and "good" ones might drive somewhat differently.

The TR3 will feel bigger, heavier and a bit looser. It will also feel stronger and significantly faster especially if your Bugeye still has an original-ish engine. Where you guide the Bugeye you will throw the TR3 if that makes any sense.

As they say, your mileage may vary....

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

198686d said:
Actually, I'm keeping the Sprite. Want to get TR2 or TR3.

So, it sounds like you may still be looking for differences between the 2 and the 3. Mainly cosmetic, although the 3 came with disk brakes. Here's a good website that describes them fairly well. Click on the "Triumph History" link on the left.

Mickey

V

vagt6

I can't resist: the difference between a nice BE and a TR2 or TR3?? <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">About $30,000 big ones</span></span>.
grin.gif

TR2s/3s are no longer feasible for the average collector at current market prices. And, the cost to buy a "project" car and restore it is potentially greater.

But if you have the budget, there's no car like a TR2/3. The ultimate driving experience IMHO. In that context, it's a heckuva good deal on a collectible antique.

Thrilling, fast, quick, always a head-turner with timeless styling.

If you can afford one, get it! :yesnod:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

Could you repeat the question? i.e. if you were asking about difference between the TR2 & TR3 -- then for a car that will be driven I would think a TR3/3A/3B with disc brakes would be favored. Also, the TR2 has some rarer parts that can complicate some aspects of restoration & maintenance.

This is not meant to in anyway diminish the appealor $value$ of the TR2 -- but if I had one I'm not sure I'd so readily park it in the Target parking lot or haul a load of lumber from Home Depot (which is how I treat my 3A).

OP

198686d

Jedi Trainee

Triumph responders: I really appreciate your feedback. Just to clarify. I am keeping the BE. It has the 1275cc engine, rib case trans. & front disc brakes. I'm nearing retirement and want to expand my hobby by getting another car. Mark Brown (above) comments on the purchase price which I know is a factor. No project car for me, so I realize it's a significant toy ("investment" is term I use with wife).

Thanks again.......either the 2 or 3 sound great depending on condition of each.

dave

Twosheds

Darth Vader

Well, it's still a mystery.

I am sticking with the difference between a TR2 and a TR3, not the difference between a Bugeye and a TR2/3.

OP

198686d

Jedi Trainee

so the Ah BE costs $0K and the tr3 cost s $30? Interesting math.

OP

198686d

Jedi Trainee

With the confusion fronm this discussion forum, probably not a good idea to get either a 2 or 3.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Can't help with the difference between a TR2/3 and a BE; but I'll second the opinion to get a later TR3 or TR3A with the front disc brakes, if you plan to drive it much. BIG improvement over the drums, IMO. Overdrive is nice for freeway speeds, too.

There are some really nice folks around St.Louis, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a ride.

And if you don't have $30K to drop, check this out
https://www.vtr.org/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=3928

Of course you can spend almost any amount doing a restoration of any car; but a nice, drivable TR3/A/B shouldn't set you back more than $15K. $30K should get you a show winner or at least top contender.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

And didn't the 2 come with a more fragile Lockheed rear axle setup? I'd be ecstatic if either a TR2 or TR3 were left on my doorstep, but I think the TR3, with disc brake and rear end updates, and more compatibility with TR3A bits would be my first choice.

And as to the car Randall just posted about, I have to believe that is either a scam, or a car that is already sold to some very lucky person..

Randy