• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The D in DPO = Devious

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I try real hard to be a easy going and see the good in all. I bought this DHC and was told how it was driven clear up to when the head on the 7 engine went. But as I swap in the Rover 8 I have found so many annoy things. Yesterday my wipers would not stop. I tried the easy thing and swapped the stalk and that is not do it and when I pulled the wiper motor I noticed the tab which sets the wipers had been broken off looked like it was soldered back on. Obviously that was not going to work long.

I have found the gear shift knob was glued on the shaft, the threads had been cut (To shorten the shift motion?)

The first issue really was the fact one light did not pop up and looks like it really needs swapped out.

I assume that the guy who I bought if off of did not know this since he just bought it and stuck it in his garage for re sell.

I would not even mind stupid PDO stuff, the devious stuff is altogether different.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If that's the worst you find, I'd say you're doing pretty good.

The brake MC on the Stag I bought last year had obviously been put together with a huge gouge in a sealing surface; which likely explains why the PDWA was disconnected and the rear brake cylinders were seized.

The gearbox had been assembled with simply wrong TR6 parts; and the overdrive apparently came from a blown-up TR6 gearbox without even having the filters cleaned !

"just repaired" speedo was bad, "just disconnected" tach was burnt up inside; and best of all, the commission number bears no resemblance to the rest of the car (except the interior). Number says it's a 71, but the body is a 72, and the engine is a 73.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
oh the stories I could tell ...

how many of us have learned early on that "rust free!" only means there's no extra charge for the rust.

yeesh.

Tom

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I bought a Sprite where one of the two bolts holding the steering rack onto the frame was a big lag screw (basically, a big wood screw) instead of the proper fine thread bolt.
I pulled apart a Sprite engine that was missing the cam gear nut.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
In going through the Courier's front end last week I noticed that both lower trunnions said "Right". I disassembled the left side and found that the upright is for the right side--no doubt the left upright had been bent and someone only had a right one on hand, so.... Luckily I acquired a spare set of uprights off ebay a month or so back.