• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tenax snaps and studs

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I think the answer is "no", but can you remove a Tenax snap from a tonneau cover? I would like to reinstall it in a slightly new location after repairing the torn area (unless the removal makes a BIG hole). If I need to cut it out, how would you repair the hole short of buying a new tonneau?

Also, are there longer studs for the two tonneau attachment areas just rear of the BJ8 doors where the snap actually secures two layers of tonneau? I cannot get the snap to grip the short post through the ring from the forward flap of tonneau. Does my car have the correct posts/studs? Someone in our club once mentioned something about longer posts or studs. Do they exist?

Here is my situation:

healeytonneau.jpg

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The two halves of the fastener actually unthread from each other. The hole will be as large as the installer made it to allow the stud to pass through. Probably a quarter of an inch at least. There are two small holes in the collar on the underside of the fabric. Unless you have the special tool to unthread them you must find something to grip the outside collar, and then un thread from the inside. A pair of small snap ring pliers or a small needle nose plier might get in the holes. Unless the threads are all corroded you probably wont damage the fabric, but patching it will always show. Perhaps a good bonded on patch, put on when the top is stretched?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OP
T

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Roscoe. I will attempt to unscrew it as you suggest.

Well Keoke, I was with all the way through the first sentence. But wouldn't adding a washer on one side make the stud poke out LESS on the other? What I need is a LONGER stud, so you lost me with your washer idea.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:
Change studs on both sides. The washer goes between the car body and the stud. ---Keoke

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What sort of "bonded-on patch" material is available? Is this a DIY repair or something for a professional trim shop?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Nevets, I am not aware of any patches that don't look like patches to use here,---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
nevets said:
What if I can live with a patch...is there anything available?
PS - welcome back K. :thankyousign:

Well in that case I suggest you and a good upholstery shop should be able to work something out you could live with--Keoke

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I didn't mean to imply there was a bonded patch that was special for top repairs. Thre are many good fabric cements out there and if you can find a matching piece of fabric just give something a try. At the worst it will look bad and not stick. Then try someting else...and so on. Folks mend sails by hand all the time.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've replaced a number of tonneau snaps (non-standard tonneau) with Tenax fasteners and have a few comments:
-- google Tenax fasteners - many Marine suppliers carry them
-- the British ones are different from the German ones as used on Porsches.
-- a pair of small needle-nose pliers can be used to unscrew the backing
-- the wood-screw fasteners are made of brass and break easily. They are also available in machine screw posts which are stronger
-- I successfully moved one - from matching vinyl, made a backing and a hole-sized plug and glued the whole works together with contact cement - it's held for several years.

Come to think of it, there are vinyl-repair kits at auto parts stores that would probably work better than what I did.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Tom, I don't think you'll need longer Tenax studs. Go ahead an patch the cover, then buy a new Tenax fastener and install it. They tend to wear out with age, the little springy things inside get pushed up. Don't try and screw the top portion when installing the new one. It has a circular ring with teeth on it to secure it to the fabric. Only screw the threaded nut below using the correct tool, maybe Keith has one. I've found a small allen wrench works well.