• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

sufficient threading on Tenax pegs for windscreen

59triumphtr3a

Freshman Member
Recently received new Tenax pegs for my steel TR3A windshield frame. I notice that the stud part is not completely threaded. The threads do not go all the way to the backside of the hex part that butts against the frame itself. When I screw these in the frame, part of the stud extends into the glass channel. This leaves about 1 turn of thread holding the peg to the frame. (To avoid interference with the glass, I suspect a bit of the stud will have to be ground down.) Anybody have issues with so little thread holding the peg? Strip out? I'm not sure if the threads can be cut further up the stud because it looks like the diameter of the outer edges of the threads are wider than the diameter of the unthreaded shank. I couldn't tell for sure. Anybody have experience or comments with these?
Thanks,

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Just looked at some original and repro Tenax pegs - the repro's I have show 1 mm longer threads than the originals.

The repros have a shoulder like you describe, but when turned 180 degrees, the thread spirals up to the nut part.

Perhaps use a tiny SS washer under the repro or carefully grind off the overhanging thread inside the windscreen frame. I always use an Araldite or JB Weld product for the Tenax, as the frame is chromed brass and often the threads are trashed from over tightened pegs.

Viv.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Take care with these. I cracked the windscreen on a TR3 I was restoring a few years ago because I hadn't noticed that the studs were longer than the originals. When I fitted new glass we put little fibre washers under them to prevent them going so far into the glass channel. If you do this then more thread will remain in contact with the frame.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
vivdownunder said:
and often the threads are trashed from over tightened pegs.
Haven't tried it yet, but my plan is to install a peg from an aluminum frame, as a workaround for the stripped threads in my chrome frame. TRF is selling reproductions of the 553837 pegs and they look very nice.