• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spridget ring & pinion What year?

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
Can anyone tell whether this will fit the early model or late model carrier just but looking at the picture?

eb2d_1.jpg

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Count the teeth, divide the smaller no. into the larger no. 4.22 is early, A motors, 3.9 is later A motors, 3.7 is the 1500 motor Midgets. I've heard of a 4.88 that racers use, and a 3.5 that is availabe for a kings ransom from VB. I counted your one I could twice and I think it has 39 teeth, but I think both the 3.9 & 4.22 use the same gear. If you have the pumpkin that the gears came out of, this info is on the outside on a flat part that goes against the axle housing.

OP
B

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
This is an aftermarket setup from crown. So could be either I suppose?!? Trying to decifer if it will fit a later model diff. Dont have mine apart yet. Never seen two side by side, so don't know if there are "Visual" stand out differences...

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Although I have interchanged pumpkins, the rear springs and the pumpkin are the two sets of bolts I haven't touched in my 25 yrs of ownership of a BE. I would be very suprised if the parts don't interchange, the pumpkins do.

OP
B

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
Im not sure, It may be worth cross posting this over in the race forum cause those guys likely have them out and open much more often....

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Generally speaking, the 3.7, 3.9, and 4.22 gear sets will fit early and later differential carriers. The 4.55 may fit either carrier - not certain on this one. The 4.88 and 5.375 require an earlier carrier.

HTH

Tim

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
I count 37 teeth on the ring gear but the pix is iffy. The pinion is pretty big...so I would say it would be a 3.70. or a 3.37 if the pinion had 11 teeth. but you can figure it out easily.

""""""This is an aftermarket setup from crown."""""

Are you sure? To my knowledge Ted Trevor never made , or had made any spridget stuff...but i could be wrong. At any rate...unless that r/p is other than a 3.70, 4.22, 4.55 and really want that ratio....you are spinning your wheels as setting up a diff with that r&p is labor intensive. Good used diffs are rather cheap.

That pinion looks to be an "early" unit as the earlys had a solid 'crush sleeve' and the laters had a compressible crush sleeve.

That all might make sense and just possibly made up some early R&P's for early cars when all that was availiable was high numerical gears.

Bugeye58

Yoda
No, Kim, the early and late differential housings are different. The pinion bearings are different sizes. You can tell if it's an early housing by the fill plug on the snout. Later cars had the filler in the rear of the axle housing rather than the diff housing.
Jeff