• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spitfire questions

J. Christian

Some of these might have been covered in other posts. If so, please advise.

I have a lead on a 65 Spitfire, and as I know almost nothing about these cars, where do I look for major problems? The engine's not a big deal, but I'm not sure where I need to be poking my screwdriver, in other words: What is "bad rust" (i.e. walk away rust), and what is "acceptable" rust (i.e. drive it for a while before I worry about it)?

Next question (which should probably be the first question): I'm 6' 7". Will I fit? I seem to have a bit of a problem with most LBCs, will this be the exception?
Thanks!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
As for rust, it seems to start first in the sills (rocker panels). Of course, that's also about the easiest spot to patch/cover up/mask deeper problems. ;-) Check the sills carefully, and look for the original seam in the outer sill just forward of the "B" post. If that's not there, you've likely got patch/cover up problems.

Look also at the rear fenders, outer, lower forward surface as well as inside the wheel arches especially low in that front area.

And look at the bottom seam on that sill/rear fender area for evidence of rivets, welds, sloppy filler or just extra thicknesses of metal.

If the outside seems ok in those areas, check all the usual areas you would on any car, especially floor panels and trunk area...and the inner sills. Keep in mind that the sills on the Spitfire give the body most of its strength; the car, despite having the separate "backbone" chassis, is sometimes referred to as a "semi-monocoque" design.

Bonnets, boot lids and doors on these cars aren't quite so prone to rust, but it can happen, of course! Most bonnets, though, seem to have been reworked in front at one time or another. If you don't see letters and a Triumph shield badge, figure there's filler on the front edge!

I'm only 5'6" and I've always fit just fine, but many people even at 6'6" or better have claimed to fit just fine in a Spitfire.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Andrew covered the rust issue pretty well. As far as height goes, I'm 6' and have no problem getting into my 66. My father who is 6'5" road in my 79 before his MS got so bad that he couldn't get into one of my Triumphs, and he fit just fine.

OP
J

J. Christian

Thanks, guys! It helps to know what to look for. I'm familiar with the TR's, but the Spits are new to me. Any other major issues to be concerned about? I like the looks of the car, and especially like the tilting front end. Seems easy to work on. Thanks again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I had a '74 Spitfire. Great fun! They seemed roomier than modern roadsters like the Miata or S2000 so try it out. I'm only 6' but I had no issues fitting. Seats aren't very comfortable though.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Any other major issues to be concerned about? I like the looks of the car, and especially like the tilting front end. Seems easy to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are major issues to some are minor to others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But in general, any "issues" would be pretty much the same as for the TRs or any other British car. Spitfires are pretty simple beasts (yes, even the IRS, with swing axles, is pretty simple). Early cars are rather basic -- almost spartan -- compared to even later Spitfires, but that's a great part of their charm. So is sitting on one of the front tires and being comfortable while working with almost completely unimpeded access to the engine and pretty much everything else under the bonnet!

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As far as when to walk away from a car, its just not all that clear. Don't let the little head do the thinking for the big head. When I bought my 1964 Spit, the only rust I could see was the battery box and the floor directly beneath it. I took the body off and got straight to the chassis and and engine. A year or two later when I got to the body, the sills and fenders had started to rust through. I replaced all the sills, both floors, both rear fenders, battery box, and rear valance. I won't do that again at what those parts cost now. ALso you better like to weld and own a MIG welder because I would hate to see what somene would charge to do this work.