• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spitfire front spring questions...

IanF

Jedi Trainee
I am currently replacing the springs on our '79 Spitfire. We ordered '74 springs to lower the front end back down to it's original height.

So... I disassemble the shock tonight and compare to two springs. THe OE spring is barely an inch longer than the new spring, but the new spring has about 4 more coils. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ok... I assemble the shock with the new spring anyway... and compare the new assembly to the OE assembly.

The new assembly is an 1' longer than the OE one. WTH? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I'd like to say this is the first time we've received wrong or mis-labeled parts for this car... but it's not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

Or am I missing something?

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
I am currently replacing the springs on our '79 Spitfire. We ordered '74 springs to lower the front end back down to it's original height.

So... I disassemble the shock tonight and compare to two springs. THe OE spring is barely an inch longer than the new spring, but the new spring has about 4 more coils. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Or am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]
You may be OK. You really didn't say how the car sits with the full weight on the springs. A coil spring is really just a coiled torsion bar. ie.- more coils = a longer bar = a softer spring when loaded. Does the car sit higher or lower with the new springs installed & the car weight on them?
D

OP
IanF

IanF

Jedi Trainee
I haven't completed the install yet. The fact the new assembly was longer the OE one irked me enough that I had to put it away for the night.

I do understand how a spring with more coils will be softer and I suppose part of the problem is I was expecting the shorter spring to have a stiffer rate than the OE spring. I can't see how having a softer spring rate can be good for anything.

OP
IanF

IanF

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
I was not aware that 74 springs road any lower that 79 springs. Not like an MGB anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... we were told the '72 - 74 springs lowered the front end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]

I do understand how a spring with more coils will be softer and I suppose part of the problem is I was expecting the shorter spring to have a stiffer rate than the OE spring. I can't see how having a softer spring rate can be good for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you want lower AND stiffer, remove a couple of coils from the OE springs?
D

OP
IanF

IanF

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
If you want lower AND stiffer, remove a couple of coils from the OE springs?
D

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... I've never been a big fan of cutting springs. Gives me visions of late model Hondas bouncing down the road...

Personally, if it were my car, I'd just spend $90 and get proper sport springs... but for what it's worth, I'm just the wrench who has to make it all work... and not the one holding the purse strings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was not aware that 74 springs road any lower that 79 springs. Not like an MGB anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... we were told the '72 - 74 springs lowered the front end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not disputing it, just didn't realize it.

OP
IanF

IanF

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not disputing it, just didn't realize it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Well, everything is back together. The front end is a bit lower now, but wow... the coils are tight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had real problems when I tried to change my springs. I had to got to about three places to find someone who had a tool that would work. Most people just looked them and wouldn't even try.

OP
IanF

IanF

Jedi Trainee
I replaced them myself. Definitely not a job for the faint of heart.

My Mac-strut spring compressor is far too large to fit between the coils and wouldn't have left enough room for the shock either. I was also unable to find a clam-type strut compressor capable of handling the 3.5" spring (most seem to only go down to 4").

So... I used an old import-tuner trick: Three nylon racheting tie-downs. As each one is rated for over 1000 lbs, I wasn't concerned about them breaking, but releasing them is a bit scary. Plus, you might have to retension and release them a couple of times to get everything seated squarely. Probably good thing Robyn wasn't watching... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

That said, this is not a method I would recommend and I'm now looking for the proper tool in case we decide to go with sport springs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I replaced them myself. Definitely not a job for the faint of heart.

My Mac-strut spring compressor is far too large to fit between the coils and wouldn't have left enough room for the shock either.... I'm now looking for the proper tool in case we decide to go with sport springs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]If you ever come across a "Tokico Cartridge Changer" at a garage sale, GRAB IT! A mechanic friend of mine turned me on to this years ago, when I had a 1985 Subaru that loved to go through rear shocks. The shock/spring combo on those is remarkably similar to the fronts on a Herald/Spitfire, so I borrowed that tool from my friend when I needed to change some front shocks on a Spitfire. FANTASTIC!

Basically, it's very, very similar to the kind of jack found on older (maybe more recent) 140/240 series Volvos. It's got a slow but well-geared hand crank at the top, so effort is minimal, and the jaws fit nicely around Spitfire springs and hold them very well.

If I could fabricate and weld, I'd consider making a few of these out of old Volvo jacks (I have a few). Apparently, Tokico stopped making these some time ago, and they're hightly sought after. Certainly beats almost anything else by miles...especially what most Triumph vendors and clubs offer for shock changing (i.e., the horrible threaded-rod/hook thingies).

OP
IanF

IanF

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
If you ever come across a "Tokico Cartridge Changer" at a garage sale, GRAB IT! A mechanic friend of mine turned me on to this years ago, when I had a 1985 Subaru that loved to go through rear shocks. The shock/spring combo on those is remarkably similar to the fronts on a Herald/Spitfire, so I borrowed that tool from my friend when I needed to change some front shocks on a Spitfire. FANTASTIC!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Gotta picture of it anywhere? (I'll google it next).