• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spit 1500 Distributor

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Hey Folks,

Thanks to the help so far I've got the front suspension all nice and refreshed (and what a difference that makes on this car!). My mum took it in to get emissions and the car failed (never really a suprise, I expected it to fail the first time).

Based on the data recieved it looks like poor ignition. So, I went ahead and ordered a fresh wire set & coil as a matter of fact. Then I started diving into the distributor and spare parts. Now, based on the parts and the engine wiring harness it appears that this car was originally outfitted with the Lucas 45DE4 unit (and I have one in the loose bits). From what I understand these tend to fail, and there's no repair parts available. The previous owner fitted a Lucas 25D distributor, which is far as I can tell is not a recommended replacement (everything I read says to use the Lucas 45D4).

Preferrably, I'd like to stay away from points, as then mum doesn't have to worry about them. In reality, I'd just like to get the car to pass emissions so that she can plate and drive it. I can always convert over at a later date.

Questions:
1) is that Lucas 25D a viable distributor?
2) Should I be ordering a Lucas 45D4 instead?
3) Is these a recommended modern distributor (e.g. Pertronix, Crane, etc)?

Thanks!
Jody

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The Lucas 25D (25D4? or 25D6?) was used in a lot of applications (many were not Triumphs), but advance curves, vacuum specs and corresponding base ignition settings would have varied depending on the vehicle. So to make the 25D work in your Spit, the PO must have made some other changes as well.

The '78 Spit would have had a 45DE4 distributor as US-spec. The 45D4 was non-US market and has breaker points, so if you want an electronic ignition, don't get that one.

You can definitely put a Pertronix Ignitor (or Ignitor II) in the 45DE4 instead of the Lucas pickup and electronics. Check out the Pertronix website for their model numbers. An Ignitor would fit inside your current 25D as well, but it would be a different Pertronix number from one used to replace the 45DE4, so if you are going to get an Ignitor you need to decide which dizzy you are going to put it in before you order.

If the 45DE4 is in the scrap bin, it may be because the electronics are shot or it may be because the bearings have worn and the shaft wobbles, or for some other reason. If it is only the electronics, then my personal choice would be to put the 45DE4 back in and install Pertronix guts. However if the 45DE4 is worn out for other reasons, new electronics will not help you much.

If the 25D is basically sound, and the gearing and bearings are ok, then might want to just leave that in, and order the Pertronix kit for the 25D.

As mentioned in another post, calling Advanced Distributors is not a bad idea in any case if you are unsure as to what your options are. Sending the old 45DE4 to Jeff for a rebuild and recurve may be just the thing.