• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speed Channel

Winston

Jedi Trainee
Anybody watch the "Victory by Design" television program about the Masserati last night. Fun 1/2 hour of viewing.

One of the models won Indy twice. I thought the winning car stayed in the museum.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't get speed channel anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Guess I need to remedy that. Did they cut down Victory by Design to thirty minutes? I almost abbreviated Victory by Design to VD but decided that just didn't sound right, anyone got a better abbreviation?

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I started watching it in bed, but my wife wanted to turn to Old School. I've seen all of the VBDs at least twice, and have the Ferrari and Jaguar ones on tape. The Making of VBD episode is probably the best, since you get to see extended driving segments.

I love turning the sound way up on the Ferrari one -- surround sound of the Columbo V12 at full song is AWESOME.

G

That is an amazing show, I've caught the one on Jaguar and it was outstanding. It blows me away that the owners of those cars will let that guy just hammer on them, and many of them worth quite a few hundred thousand dollars. He must have some pretty good driving credentials for that to happen. Can someone enlighten me on the hosts background? I saw him on the Barrett Jackson auction and the other night on the vintage races from Laguna Seca where he was touring the pits and looking at a hoard of Ferrari 250 GT's and GTO's. I also saw him on some British documentary talking about the development of the Supermarine Spitfire.

You can buy the Victory by Design episodes on DVD from their website, I think they are $25 per disk. I'm planning on getting one or two for my birthday.

MattP

Jedi Knight
Here is what the VBD website has to say about him. I saw him one year on Speed at Goodwood, he had to give up the mike while he raced on I think it was a 1000cc Honda racing bike.

"Alain De Cadenet - Bio
Alain de Cadenet made his reputation building and driving his own sports racing cars, taking-on the full ‘works’ factory teams and, at times, even beating them. In 1976 he came third overall at Le Mans, which made his mark – and in 1980, won two rounds of the World Sports Car Championship (Monza 1000k and Silverstone 6-Hours). At that time, this was considered a major achievement in an era of increasing professionalism, when it was unheard of for a self-funded privateer to take-on the ‘big boys’ and win.

Alain is also one of the most respected and accomplished racers of classic and vintage cars – and, during the course of his driving career, has owned and raced some truly important machines, particular in the marque of Alfa Romeo. Now, during the course of shooting six “Victory by Design” shows, it’s probably safe to say that Alain has driven more different and important racing cars than any person in history.

In addition to his passion for cars, Alain is also an avid collector of motor cycles and airplanes (including a WW2 Spitfire). For many years he was also a collector and authority on George V stamps, even advising the British Postal Service on their collection. Alain’s knowledge of vintage wines and period stills cameras is also formidable. He is genuinely a 21st century “renaissance man”. "

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
In addition to his passion for cars, Alain is also an avid collector of motor cycles and airplanes (including a WW2 Spitfire). For many years he was also a collector and authority on George V stamps, even advising the British Postal Service on their collection. Alain’s knowledge of vintage wines and period stills cameras is also formidable. He is genuinely a 21st century “renaissance man”. "

[/ QUOTE ]
You too could be a 21st century “renaissance man” if you had the money it would take to do what he has done. Sort of brings back memories or Peter Revson. And who cares about Maseratis, Alfas, stamps, cameras, or wine--he has his own Spitfire!!!

But I noticed during the B-J auction, he knows very little about '50s and '60s American cars, so Alain is not yet Leonardo DaVinci. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

MattP

Jedi Knight
[quote
But I noticed during the B-J auction, he knows very little about '50s and '60s American cars, so Alain is not yet Leonardo DaVinci. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! Leonardo knew about Muscle Cars? I knew that he was forward thinking, but... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I knew Alain had raced for Ferari, from the VBD on Ferrari. He does mention that he hadn't been in a particular car in 25 since he raced it in 77 or so. I can'tremeber exactley which car or which year though. Thats cool information Matt, I had no idea he was so accomplished. No wonder so many people let him drive their cars.

G

Holy smokes thats cool, what car/airplane freak wouldn't want that guys life.

I'd love to get to Goodwood one of these years, thats gotta be the biggest dream car show for gearheads, because you get to hear and see most of them really run. Where else can you see Europes best running alongside vintage American stock cars and classics. They used to have a great video on their website of an Aston Martin DBR2 sreaming up the hillclimb course, what a sound. Now it's a video of a Ferrari GTO, just as good. I found a surprising tidbit while reading about Goodwood awhile back. Every year the Brooklands Society drags out the Napier Railton for the festival, at least I think it's every year. The Railton is a monster 24 liter, 12 cylinder aero engined land speed record car from the early 30's. I read that there is only one driver that the museum has trusted the last few years to drive this beast, and it is Rowen Atkinson. Yes, Mr. Bean! Apparently he is quite the accomplished vintage race car driver, which I never knew. There's some good info on the Railton at the Brooklands society's webpage. Man, I'd lover to see that thing run. They should have brought the bluebird down off that pylon at last years Goodwood and ran that as well, with it's Supermarine engine. Great article on the bluebord in C&SC a few issues back.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
G

I've watched that video clip a million times trying to gauge the height above the ground that kamikaze pilot is. At the point about 2/3 of the way through the field, the plane crosses a slight rise in the ground, and a nice shadow is cast at that point. Using that shadow and the relative size of the aircraft I've estimated that at that point he has got to be no more than 15 feet off the ground, possibly a few feet lower than that. He then begins to pull up when he closes on the guys, but still, he's not that high when he crosses over them. With that thing running at WOT that low, the sound and prop blast must have been just incredible.

I hope Alain had a spare pair of shorts in the van.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Another tidbit about Alain D'C -- he was the first "manufacturer"/ driver/owner to employ a woman co-driver for the Le Mans 24hour race.

It is true that he doesn't know a ton about American Muscle Cars, (and he admits it,) but that's why the Speed team employs Brock Yates (who drove a Challenger cross-country for three Cannonballs) to be the American muscle and hot rod expert for the auction.

One of Alain's first cars was a Bentley with open works-style body (can't remember exactly, but I believe it was a Speed-Six.) He drove it daily. Now that's a guy we can all appreciate!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I loved watching those when we had cable. I actually had them all on tape but the wife taped over them (reasoning that I'd seen them once - couldn't get that I'd watch them again and again).

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That is a great video clip with the Spitfire. I would have to say that under the circumstances I'd probably be saying the same thing.

G

[ QUOTE ]
It is true that he doesn't know a ton about American Muscle Cars, (and he admits it,) but that's why the Speed team employs Brock Yates (who drove a Challenger cross-country for three Cannonballs) to be the American muscle and hot rod expert for the auction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Brock Yates co-drive a Ferrari Daytona in the very first cannonball with Dan Gurney? I know he drove the Challengers also, but I thought the very first one was in a 365, and they also won.

Honestly, I think Brock is basically the only good thing Car and Driver magazine has going for it these days.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Didn't Brock Yates co-drive a Ferrari Daytona in the very first cannonball with Dan Gurney?...

Yes.

...Brock is basically the only good thing Car and Driver magazine has going for it these days.

I agree. I was a loyal reader of C&D since *before* it was C&D......I hardly glance at it on the newstand anymore.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Brock Yates is the only good thing car and driver has going for it anymore. As far as interesting articles on new cars, Automobile is a much better magazine in my opinion anyway.