• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speaking of Rear End Gears

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Is there anyone here on this forum that like myself ordered new gears quite a while ago. I have not been able to be in contact with the supplier and don't know the status of the order. Does anyone have any knowledge of what is going on?

Country flag
If you ordered from Mike Lempert, just sit tight. I ordered a set on a prior batch, paying about half upfront.

I don't remember exactly how long it took, but it <span style="font-style: italic">seems</span> like it was around eleven (11) months; the product was well worth the wait (and I still don't have them fitted).

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
it <span style="font-style: italic">seems</span> like it was around eleven (11) months; the product was well worth the wait (and I still don't have them fitted).
And that was 5 years ago? :devilgrin:

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It was around an eleven month wait 5 years ago for Mike's first round of 3:54 rear gears. I put them in my '65 BJ8............love them. Sweet hwy speeds at a nice low rpm purr. Still plenty of down low hop around town too.

Dougie

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I was wondering if any one was in the same situation I'm in. There were complications on the first request for the batch to be made. Then supposedly if was resolved. Reorder took place , it has been well over a year. I don'tknow anyone else involved and I really don't know the supplier. Won't mention any names because it could just simply be some innocent complications.
Thanks for your responces.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I would also like to buy a set of these gears for my 65 BJ8.
I don't mind paying something up front and waiting for enough others to make it " worth his while " to make a batch but 11 months seems a little excessive ?
Maybe my order would give em enough to make a batch ?
How should I contact him to ask about purchasing a set ?
Either post here or PM me.

Thanks,
Ed

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
Hi Ed,
I had the Healey out last Saturday and noticed at 3000 rpm i was running 58 mph in 4TH gear. How does that compare with your car and gear ratio. I have the original 354 ratio and a non overdrive 4 speed transmission.
Bob

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi BlueRidge,
It's been awhile since I have been driving mine, but it memory serves, 3000rpm with mine in OD, was more like 65mph I think.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Vette--

In my opinion you do not have to worry about Michael Lempert--he does not produce the gear sets himself and is not in charge of time, etc.--but you will eventually get what you bought and the product will be fine.

Country flag
Mike Lempert is honest and reliable (and maybe a wee bit slow). :yesnod:

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
thanks for all your responses. I wanted to be as discrete about it as possible. But had to inquire.

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
For those interested in a set of Lempert gears please check the classifieds. I had purchased a set about three years ago with the intention of upgrading the axle in my BJ7. In the mean time I had purchased a few parts cars for another project and low & behold one of them had a factory 3.54 gear set. I have since put that setup into the BJ7 and it works fine. So the set I have is not needed at this time and I need funds for the restoration of my BN2 so I have put them up for sale. They are new and in the original packaging and I have never mounted or attempted to mount them.

Please let me know ASAP if anyone wants them before I list them on Ebay sometime during the week.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Hi Bob,

My tach is not accurate. I need to send it off this winter to get rebuilt so I really can't answer your question.

Ed

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
Ed,
I sent all my Gauges to Margret at MO MA'S in Albuquerque NM.
She replaced the tube and bulb on the water temp. gauge and re furbished and calibrated all the others. Every thing looks and works fine except I don't have the gas gauge functional yet. I think it may just some attention at the sending unit.

Bob

RF Thom

Jedi Hopeful
I paid Michael for a set of gears Nov. '07, made contact shortly thereafter to make sure he got the money order etc., he responded then, but recently I tried to contact him - no response. I checked the Healey Directory, yes I had the right e/mail address, but no phone No. listed. Checked 411 and he has a phone No. listed there. Maybe I'll give him a 'supper time' call. I'm also in a hold pattern as well. When gears arrive I'm going to pull the rear end and trans, to fix an oil leak, then get my speedo re-calibrated. Like to do it over the winter season, two have passed. I'm patient but some customer feed back would be nice.
Bob

Country flag
'Re-calibrating' the speedometer is easy; you just change the position of the needle. The hard part is getting and installing new gears for the odometer and tripmeter.

RF Thom

Jedi Hopeful
Bob you're right the hard part is the odometer calibration. I set the speed indicator with the assist of a] a road side speed indicator, the b] passing through a speed trap I went back and asked the office to confirm my needle positioning.
Regards, Bob