• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hypothetically Speaking...

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Assuming one had the necessary fabrication skills to do this, is it realistically possible to install an automatic transmission in a Spridget mated to the 1275? Did BMC make an automatic for other 1275 equipped cars? If they didn't are their any possible drop-ins with a minimum of modifications, like we see with the Datsun 5-speed upgrade?

Yes, it would probably be easier to 1) Get a Miata with a slushbox or 2) actually teach someone to drive stick, especially in a Spridget (assuming our hypothetical person didn't have any physical infirmities which kept them from driving stick). However, since this is strictly a hypothetical exercise, we can throw practicality out the window as we have an imaginary and unlimited budget.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Datsun 210's came with automatics, so I imagine it'll bolt on like a 5-speed would with the kit. Not sure if the ratios would match well with the 1275 though or if the Datsun auto is physically larger than the 5-speed....I've never seen the two side by side.

As much as I despise automatic transmissions, if I ever become unable to operate a clutch I will figure out a way to install one in my Bugeye.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
This probably falls into the "not helpful" category, but the MGC GT had an optional automatic. One of our local club members sought one out for his wife who has a bad back and can't drive a stick anymore. Not sure if the roadster came with that option or not. He had to travel to Wisconsin from Washington to buy it.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
So, if one did a Datsun engine swap, the Datsun engine/tranny combo should be a pretty straightforward drop in? Interesting.

Country flag
As a general rule, automatic gearboxes are large so most any swap will involve modifying the tunnel/crossmember.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You'd probably have better luck asking on a Morris Minor forum, but a quick look indicates the automatic from an Austin Marina will bolt up to the 1275 and there are a couple of them available in Canada on Car-Part.com. I don't know if they'd fit without tunnel mods and frankly, the Marina was a wretched little car and the autos aren't supposed to be very durable.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have somewhere on the interweb seen a Midget with a Chevette drivetrain with an auto. I suspect an entire drivetrain swap would be easier.

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
At the 2008 50th anniversary event in Pa. I met a couple who had a BE with an automatic transmission in it. The lived either in or close to DC and had driven it to the event. The BE had a Chevette engine and automatic transmission in it and the installation was excellent. From the outside it was impossible to tell what was driving the car. Even the automatic transmission shift lever looked almost stock. If anyone knows those people they could probably be contacted for information. They were also Morgan owners and belonged to a Morgan group in that area.
Charlie

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Chevette swap is interesting. They are probably more plentiful than B210s and 210s these days in the junkyards. Chevette was also produced until 1987 (!!!) in the U.S. and well into the 90s in South America. Probably inexpensive to obtain, and apparently, you can build up the Chevette motor to produce more power.

Ok, so where my hypothetical is going with this: I've been mulling taking on another Spridget project, since I now know the car fairly well. One thought was to go the "his and hers" route. Unfortunately, to make one "hers", I have to teach my wife to drive stick, which she doesn't want to do (She tried once when she was a teenager in her friend's VW Beetle and ended up in the front lawn of her house, nearly hitting it, thus scarring her for life), or figure out a way to do one with an auto. Yes, just finding a Gen 1 Miata with a slushbox would be the easy and practical way to go. The one thing my wife has noticed when she rides with me is how unique the car is compared to just about anything else on the road (other than another LBC) and she talks about how cool it would be to pull up to the high school where she works with our car. I'm pretty well convinced that my daughter also realizes the uniqueness of her "Baby Blue", and that is part of what makes the car special to her.

Realistically, the auto conversion will probably exist only as a hypothetical. The more likely scenario would be a long term project with the goal of having it roadworthy when it becomes time to rebuild the lower half of Baby Blue's motor, which I figure is probably a few years or so off, but I know it's coming. I'd drive the project car while work is being done to Baby Blue. When Baby Blue is ready, switch cars again and go back to work on the project car.

Just to make clear: I have absolutely no intention of converting Baby Blue to auto. That one stays stick!

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Chevettes were/are garbage and most were crushed years ago. I can't think of a worse motor to put in a Spridget other than maybe a non Cosworth Vega.

A 210 auto behind a 1275 isn't going to be that straight forward as it uses a flexplate. About the easiest thing would be (I would imagine) put the 210 motor/auto trans in a spridget and leave the Shivette in the garbage were it belongs.

I'm not trying to be ugly, just honest. :yesnod:

All good! I can't tell you how many times you guys have saved me from chasing my tail by shooting straight, no matter how ugly it was by doing so.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There are a few of the small English cars that had autos. MG and Triumph had some, but rare. Might check these as most used the same tranny and flywheels and flex plates might be interchangeable. If sized right, redrill to fit.

nomad

Yoda
Chevettes were/are garbage and most were crushed years ago. I can't think of a worse motor to put in a Spridget other than maybe a non Cosworth Vega.

A 210 auto behind a 1275 isn't going to be that straight forward as it uses a flexplate. About the easiest thing would be (I would imagine) put the 210 motor/auto trans in a spridget and leave the Shivette in the garbage were it belongs.

I'm not trying to be ugly, just honest. :yesnod:

Don't know of the reliability of a Chevette gas but do know that the Chevette diesel's were indestructible. I know a fellow that did a lot of traveling in his job back in that era and put unbelievable mileage on them. Several rotted away beneath him but he still wishes he had one today.

Kurt.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Chevette diesels were 1.8 Liter units made by Isuzu, hence the indestructibility factor.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Maybe you could just buy her the Hemi Sprite, it has a Corvette 700R4 automatic:

Marian2.JPG

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Mrs. SaxMan may be a lot of things, but a leadfoot is not one of them. She was intimidated by power of the 3.5 liter six in our ill-starred 2004 Nissan Pathfinder.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So, if one did a Datsun engine swap, the Datsun engine/tranny combo should be a pretty straightforward drop in? Interesting.

No, not at all. The Auto Datsun trans is huge. You'd have to make a new tunnel and work out various mechanical/vacuum issues. I've worked on a couple automatic Datsun swaps in Morris Minors and it's an ordeal, even in the larger Morris.

A15 auto 21808.jpg

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What about a little Ford Kent engine and automatic from a Pinto? Or maybe its called an Essex?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I think your greatest chance for success would be to leave the Spridget alone and buy an automatic Miata to park next to it.

You can get an M1 or M2 automatic Miata very reasonably and they are great cars.

My 5 speed (manual trans) M2 Miata is hands-down the best car I have ever owned.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
the Chevy power glide is a small a/t, not sure what you would put in front of it. something that would have a good rpm range.

what about the Mazda rotary,
front wheel drive set up out of GEO 3 cylinder,
just buy a V12 Jag rag top with auto