• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speaking of Minis

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Ok, I don't want to start a debate about new Mini Versus Classic Mini - two different cars obviously, but the "Trouble and Strife" currently has a 01 Miata, but she has been hinting that she would like to get a Mini convertable. Probably would not get the SS since we live 35 miles from town and the regular non-SS version gets much better milage.

Basil

dklawson

Yoda
One of my Triumph buddies tried to get his wife to get a BINI for their next car. She test drove that and the Miata. She opted for the Miata and never looked back. I have nothing against the BINI, but after driving the Miata your wife may not like the feel of new MINI. Good luck, let us know which way the purchase goes.

V

vagt6

Basil, I purchased an '05 MCS last year and it seems to be a very well-engineered car. It's very fast and there are few, if any production cars in it's class that can outhandle it on a curvy road.

The "S" model has a very stiff suspension. Folks who are not used to sports cars may not like it. The non-S model's suspension is not as stiff and it also gets slightly better fuel mileage. Depending on the driver's needs, I'd strongly suggest the S version. Resale value is better and it's simply a blast to drive. The non-S is pretty sluggish.

If you really want some fun, opt for the "John Cooper Works" package. For about $6,000, you get 210 HP at the front wheels (the S has about 170, plenty for most folks).

In about 7,000 miles of mostly highway driving, my MCS averages 30.5 MPG by the trip computer. There hasn't been a squeak, rattle or one single problem with the car.

It's a great car for the money, and the resale value is outstanding. If your wife likes small cars, go for it!

Let me know if you have further questions, I'll be glad to help.

theinferno

if i had the choice, and the money, i would go for the mcs convertible, with the aero kit, jcw, and driving light option boxes checked. i think the back of the convertible looks more like the origional mini cooper, plus its a convertible!

A

aerog

When I bought my Miata I was pondering a new Mini. One of our brit-car club members has one and I did a lot of sitting in it, etc. I didn't look at the convertible but - seriously - after looking at his with that huge sunroof I almost don't think I'd worry about losing the top at all. Just a thought.

Mini_Jim

Freshman Member
We bought a 2003 Bini Cooper for my wife. She LOVES it. Yes, she might like a Miata as well, but she needs all the space the Bini affords.
She gets 36 MPG on a mix of country roads and interstates.
The fact that it takes Premium gas is a bit of a bother, but she's been mixing premium with regular and tells me the car seems to run just fine.
I've driven it a few times. It is nothing like my '67 Cooper S, but then, what is? :smile:

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The new Cooper S is a great little car, and I really don't think that the difference in gas mileage would make that much difference......It's how you drive 'em. In fact, you might tend to drive the regular car harder to compensate, thereby getting worse mileage! Not much help, am I?

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I've had a lot (17) of classics minis, including everything from an 850 to a full blown SCCA GT-5 racecar mini.
I bought a 2002 MINI Cooper S as soon as they hit the marketplace back in March of 02 - actually I had a deposit from sept of 2000 - and do like it so much, I am working part time at a MINI dealer.
My best advise would be : go drive one. Drive 2 - cooper and S, plus then drive the convertibles.....see what you think for yourself!
I think they're great cars, terrific handling, comfortable, major fun and super technology with cool design inside and out!
Try one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .... you might like it !