• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speaker Placement

RTR52nd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I usually spend most of my time over on the MG forum, but wanted to post this one here as well.
I seem to recall several discussions, at least regarding MGs, regarding speaker placement. Some people have said that door speakers are un-hearable, there was a suggestion of placing them in your headrests, all sorts of creative stuff.
Well, about a year ago, when I first moved to Denver, I was sitting at a cafe, and a ridiculously gorgeous TR-6 pulled into the garage across the street. So naturally, I left my wife sitting at the table and went over to speak with the owner. (Whose name escapes me, my apologies.) Everything about the car was magnificent, not a concourse resto, but upgraded with every modern convenience. But one of the things that immediately caught my eye was his speaker placement.
I just found pictures of the car - take a look at where the speakers are -
PurpleBlueTR6-9553.jpg

Yes, that's them in the custom door caps. Pretty impressive. I have above average woodworking skills (heck, they're currently better than my auto-repair skills!), so I've been thinking about doing that to my B.
For the rest of the shots of the car, take a look here -
https://www.motorwayltd.com/restorations.htm]
Of course, custom door caps and mini speakers are on about page 368 of my to do list, so it'll be a while...

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
There must be one or more larger speakers elsewhere in the car, otherwise the sound would be very "tinny" with such small drivers. Or maybe those are horns? That would be very sophisticated!

Did you take a listen to the system?

OP
RTR52nd

RTR52nd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Those are the tweeters. I think there's a sub behind the seats.

PeterK

Yoda
Yup. All of our modern cars also have tweeters is similar locations. It also looks like there are speakers in the kidney pad location on the sides of the radio console.

swift6

Yoda
I know that car and its owner very well. Also know the Motorway very well. Here is a photo of that TR6 and my TR6 taken in front of the Motorway...
PA140025.jpg

Personally, I'm not a big believer in stereos in TR6's. I'm too picky on sound quality. Its also another thing to worry about when you park the car. Top up or down, they are not the most secure cars. Just my opinion though.

FWIW, the owner of that car sort of regrets the stereo additions to the car. He wanted it for listening to tunes while cruising. With the triple webers, header and monza exhaust, he can't hear the stereo unless the engine is off. :frown:

brent615

Jedi Trainee
PO of my car replaced the round air vents on the dash to speakers that were exactly the right size. He re-routed teh vents to point down and left them in place so they can be returned to original if desired. In addition, he had two 4 inch speakers in the usual kidney pad location and two bracket mounted speakers on the flat deck behind the seats (for lack of a better description).

My plan is to use the kidney pad and dash speakers along with a British Leyland AM/FM I got from Ebay. PO had a circa 1987 CD player that required that the CD be placed in a cartridge then inserted to play!! I have an MP3 adaptor on order from Crutchfield that feeds through the FM antenna that I am hoping will work. I'll have a clean original look but modern MP3 functions when I want them.