• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

so close for a 5speed transmission swap

68_sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks to the help of BillM I have confirmed that the transmission that had been sitting in my garage is indeed the elusive Datsun 210 5speed dogleg. I hauled it over to Bill's and he checked it out, ran it in his "dune buggy" test vehicle and gave it the seal of approval.

Now all I need is a 210 shift lever and to get over pneumonia so I can have a hands on tech session to install the upgrade.

If anyone has a shift lever or a source, send me a PM. Been searching fleabay and the ratsun forum without any luck.

G

Bill doesn't have one? IIRC, a Z shifter will do in a pinch but it's not correct. I'll check tomorrow. I have a Z shifter here.

RickB

Yoda
NICE!!!
When are we all getting together to install it?

OP
68_sprite

68_sprite

Jedi Hopeful
He only has enough to match his current supply of 5speeds! thanks for checking on it, I know the b210 won't work, not sure about the Z option.

OP
68_sprite

68_sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Health permitting and Bill's travel schedule as well as the "missing link" all play in the equation. I hope sooner than later. Chili hasn't been out to play since September.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
The Z shifter is too long for the 210 (-60) transmissions. They can have the end ground to make them work but it is not a great idea (very sloppy).
I will be leaving in the morning to take the Orange Crate to our new location in San Diego and flying back in two weeks so we should be able to do Jean's swap then.
Bill

G

I thought it was the other way around, the 210 was longer than the Z.

Spriteman65

If you don't mind, I would love to witness/help with the swap. I want to do this eventually to my car, the experience would be priceless.

Thanks
Jeff

RickB

Yoda
Billm said:
I will be leaving in the morning to take the Orange Crate to our new location in San Diego and flying back in two weeks so we should be able to do Jean's swap then.
Bill

Have a good trip Bill, be safe and get back up here - we're not ready to let you go yet!!

ShawnC_at_Moss

Jedi Hopeful
Trying not to show my ignorance but I am guessing one of you guys out there is an engineer and can use a CAD program to draw up a shifter? Then couldn't you have a dozen or so machined in a CNC? Then you could even tweak it to make it better.

G

ShawnC_at_Moss said:
Trying not to show my ignorance but I am guessing one of you guys out there is an engineer and can use a CAD program to draw up a shifter? Then couldn't you have a dozen or so machined in a CNC? Then you could even tweak it to make it better.

That would be great, however; you're overlooking the only trait all Spridget owners share, we're cheap!

RickB

Yoda
In my experience a Datsun 210 4 speed shifter also works in the 5 speed transmission. Mine is cut to about 6 inches and then I have a nice shift knob on it that uses a set screw. It was in my Datsun 4 speed transmission and it was transferred to my 5 speed transmission without any further modifications.
SO - if you can find any Datsun 210 4 speeds out there that have a shifter grab them.
Here's an interesting auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-shifter-grab-bag-/290670209373
See any in there?

RickB

Yoda
Anyone close to Santa Fe NM?

https://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/2826641089.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]<span style="font-weight: bold">1980 Datsun 210 - $800</span>
I rescued this 210 with intention of getting it on the road but recently picked up another project and there can only be one. It has no title but I have a bill of sale from the wrecking yard I got it from. It runs but not real well I don't think it will take much to get it going right. It has a 5 speed transmission. I will definitely need an exhaust system as it is missing the catalytic convertor. It would make a nice daily if you are willing to go through the red tape to get it titled and registered or use it for the wealth of parts it has. You can call or text me at five o five six nine 2 8 four five 3 or just respond via email. I will entertain any offers.
[/QUOTE]

(Of course, NFI)

RickB

Yoda
I asked datzenmike (Datsun Mike) over at ratsun.net and here is what he said concerning the shifters:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Too interesting.....

I test fit a B type shifter onto my 63A dogleg and it fit.

I compared the pin and bushings on all the B-210 and 210 4 and 5 speeds. The plastic bushings are all the same part number. The shifters themselves may be all different lengths and bends but the pin and bushings should be a good indication that they will fit... sort of.

The FS5W63A dogleg shift pin is identical to the 56A 4 speed pin.

The following have the same pin number but does not match the dogleg.

F4W60 4 speed in the B-210 and the 210
FS5W60L dogleg in the 210
FS5W60A in the 210 [/QUOTE]

OP
68_sprite

68_sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Interesting lot of parts there on eBay, Rick. I have the 60A transmission and it would be a good note if anything else fit.

RickB

Yoda
I have the Dogleg 5 speed in my green Midget and I know for sure the 4 speed shifter fits since that's what I've got.
Mike says several others will fit as well, maybe when Bill gets back he can see if he's got a 63 or a 56 shifter and try them.
Another thing to do is post a wanted ad on the ratsun.net forum asking specifically for what you need - good place and most of the time you can get something at a good price.
You don't want a full height shifter do you?
Remember Ed's car?
Shifter sticking up almost to the roof?