• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Slave Cylinder Bleeding

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I found the following in some old emails regarding bleeding the clutch slave cylinder.

I need to bleed the slave on my son's Bugeye after some gearbox work.
It has a Datsun 210 5 speed and the bleed valve is hard to get a drain hose on. The challenge is not unlike the difficulty of slave access in the big healey, except separate masters. Any tips appreciated.

"- Connect a hose from the slave bleeding nipple of a brake caliper to the bleeding nipple of the clutch slave cylinder.

- Open both bleeding nipples.

- Press the brake pedal to pump brake fluid into the clutch slave cylinder

- Continue to pump brake pedal until all air is pushed into the master and escapes.

- Close the bleeding nipples

- Remove the hose

Because the fluid is going up through the clutch-fluid line into the reservoir, it will be easier to get the air pockets/bubbles out. There is no need to have to continually fill the master cylinder (in the dual master as on the bugeye) because you are just recirculating the fluid and removing the air as you go."

Any thoughts about this approach?

Lin Rose
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi LIN, It seems like a whole lot of trouble for nothing IMOP. It may work However, this method did noting to aleviate the basic problem,the slave's bleed valve is hard to get a hose on.If he can get the hose on using this procedure he could have gotten it on and bled the valve in the conventional manner I would think---Keoke?

Country flag
Probably a good idea to put in fresh fluid instead of forcing old dirty fluid back into the resevoir. (unless the fluid in the system is new)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah TH, I was thinking about that too when I was typing the reply.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Tahoe and Keoke,
Yes, I agree with your observations. Just always looking for something new to make things easier. Getting the hose on the bleeder is the real key. I do have all new fluid in the master.

For the Big Healey, I had Doug Reid make an extension pipe (about 12" long) with bleeder at the end. I tested it but have not done final assembly of the car yet. Looks like it will work like a charm.

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Bugeye58

Yoda
Guys, a remote bleeder is a cinch to make. I use a #3 AN union (3/8 x 24 thread) screwed into the slave cylinder bleed port with a copper crush washer, and then a suitably flared piece of 3/16" brake line running up to a convenient location. Properly clamped in place, of course. At the upper end, I have a bleed fitting, that I think I bought at Summit.
It takes a matter of minutes to bleed the clutch, by myself, as I can actuate the master cylinder from under the bonnet.
Jeff

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Bugeye58,
Do you happen to have a photo showing where your new extended bleeder valve becomes accessible?

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Bugeye58

Yoda
Lin, I don't have a digital camera yet, but you can terminate the line wherever it's convenient. I should have mentioned that my remote bleeders are on the Bugeyes and the Spridgets, not on a Big Healey. However, the basic concept is the same.
Maybe I'll put one on my friends BT7, and develop a kit. Seeing that I do the maintenance on his LBC's, I may as well make my life a bit easier.
Jeff

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Jeff.
I have an extension for the Big Healey. I meant for the Bugeye, but if you don't have a camera, it doesn't matter anyway. But, thanks!
Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Lin, since we are considering vagaries here I will post mine. First removing the top bolt from the slave is a bit of a problem similar to getting access to the bleed screw. So I cut the head off the top bolt,lathered it with thread locker and reinstalled it so that its end is just flush with the top of the slave's mounting foot. Now all I have to do to bleed the slave is let it hang on its rubber line ,attach a bleed hose which is inserted in a container of fluid,open the bleed screw, push the piston all the way in and wait for the little bubbles to stop,close the bleed screw and reinstall the slave and I am done wid that!---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

there he goes kuttin bits and pieces again!you must have the lightest healey in the world,now i know why all those concourse judges walk around twitching!dont let him get hold of a plazma cutter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifi found a piece of rubber hose that fit the bleader very tighly,safety wired it on and cut it so it hangs dowm about 3" below the frame and left it there,just have to turn the bleader etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Keoke and Anthony,
Now that is what I really love about this list: all those little secrets to making challenging things easier! I like both of those ideas.

So Keoke, you just use the top bolt (now stud) as a locator (albeit with thread locker) and then use only the bottom bolt to actually secure the slave cylinder to the housing?

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That is correct Lin. Simplifies getting it off for what ever reason, plus it places the bleed nipple right in front of your face and you don't have things hangin down up under the car gettin dirty like that other fella [7777] does.---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif---OH! I almost forgot, ain't no pedal pumpin required either if you want to bleed the slave.- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

lin,honestly im honored to even have my name typed on the same page as KEOKE,but most of this stuff is a little common sence and what is done makes it more convieniant to the individual,there are lots of answers to these problems,pick the one that helps you the most and go with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Lin, I don't have a digital camera yet, but you can terminate the line wherever it's convenient. I should have mentioned that my remote bleeders are on the Bugeyes and the Spridgets, not on a Big Healey. However, the basic concept is the same.
Maybe I'll put one on my friends BT7, and develop a kit. Seeing that I do the maintenance on his LBC's, I may as well make my life a bit easier.
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second the request for a photo, please.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Anthony and you still gotta pump,plus ain't it enough trouble to get off now!!----Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

keoke,that aint the real hose!and im never going to remove the one i put on,plus my son has good strong legs to pump for me,its a good way to get him interested in the hobby,spend some time,like that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I swear I have not seen so much child abuse going on in my life!---Keoke--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif