• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 seat options for GT6+?

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Has anyone put non standard seats in a GT6? I should say non-standard but readily available.

dklawson

Yoda
Many years ago when we first put our GT6 back on the road I bought a pair of Corbeau seats and fit them to adapter brackets I made for original seat sliders. I was NOT happy with the end results and eventually had the original Triumph seats recovered.

I chose the Corbeaus as they were the smallest aftermarket seat I could find and they did fit the car reasonably well. However, when I sat in them, the bolsters positioned me perhaps two inches closer to the door. This meant I was not sitting directly behind the steering wheel but was reaching in at an angle towards the center of the car. It was very un-natural. If you decide to fit non-original seats you will likely feel the same way I did unless you buy seats with very low (or no) side bolsters.

There are people with Spitfires who have fit Miata seats (Google for Paul Tegler's articles on this). I borrowed a Miata seat to see how it would fit our Spit and it didn't look right. Regardless of my impression with the Spitfire, I suppose the Miata seats may be an option for the GT6.

V

vagt6

Search this thread and you'll find a wealth of info about Miata seats in Spits/GT6s, and other seating options as well.

The Miata seats in a Spit/GT6 render a higher seated position for the driver, reducing headroom. Thus, if you're taller than approximately 5'11" or so (I'm 6'2"), it's uncomfortable. The Miata seat is also wider which cramps the right leg against the gearbox tunnel cover. In addition, Miata seats change the angle at which your foot rests in the pedal box, cramping the accelerator pedal foot (uncomfortable on longer trips). Finally, the increased height of a Miata seat may cause taller drivers to crane their neck in order so see stoplights through the top of the windscreen (yes, it's true!). :crazyeyes:

Having said all that, some folks love the Miata seats for Spits/GT6s. I do not. I installed them in my MKII GT6 (after much wrangling, measuring, cutting, and welding on the seat rails, etc.), and hated them. They tend to make the already tiny cockpit even more crowded. Jerked them right out of the car and reupholstered the stock (high back) seats. Much better.

Further, I don't think the Miata seats look right in the car, but that's just me. A Triumph isn't a Mazda . . . :cryin:

The stock seats may be made far more comfy and firmer by using modern, non-foam materials in place of the stock seat foams (which provide little or no real cushioning). I purchased firmer seating materials from a local upholstery shop and it made the stock seat significantly more comfortable.

The key to the fit of the stock seats is they sit VERY low in the floor pan, a <span style="text-decoration: underline">must</span> for any seat in these cars: this is critical if you (or your passengers) are tall or large.

Don't install Miata seats in your car if you're relatively tall, or if you're a large person, or if you intend to accept passengers who are. Very uncomfy.

That's my tuppence worth, YMMV.

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee
If you mean other than Triumph & sport aftermarket seats like the Corbeau Clubman, the choices are then down to hacking the mounts on Miata seats.

If you'd just like some better seats than the GT6 lowbacks, the US GT6 Mk3's had two different styles of highback seats.
The earliest was a one-piece seatback
3390_1.JPG

The later style had a separate moveable headrest.

For a retrofit, the later version with the separate headrest is probably the best bet. Both were used also in Spitfires, but the later style with the separate headrest was used longer, is easier to find, & is easier to find aftermarket seatcover kits for.

The only thing that really works perfectly is replacement with GT6/Spitfire seats, as the seats are left- & right-handed dimensionally & nonstandard replacements have issues to deal with involving the driveshaft hump, seat height, door adjacency, etc.

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Doug and Mark,
I usually search the archives before asking the general forum, but sometimes the subject matter and title are hard to decipher, (that's why my posts are always very specifically worded to aid in the search)and after seeing numerous posts about all kinds of seating but GT6 I gave up. I agree that the original seats should be used when possible, but when I saw the Rimmer Bros. price for the proper re-upholstery material I swallowed my tongue. Even if their price is 25% too high, it's still a chunk o' change, so I figured I'd ask about options. I believe the frames of my existing seats are fine, I'll probably bring them to a local shop and get an estimate for quality material and labor. I replaced the seat cushions and covers on the MGB easily enough, so unless it's unnecessarily difficult I should be able to do the work myself if the Rimmer price and the local shop are pretty close.
I don't believe in change for change sakes, and different isn't necessarily better, but it's good to know your options.
Mike

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
rotoflex said:
If you'd just like some better seats than the GT6 lowbacks, the US GT6 Mk3's had two different styles of highback seats....
And, for whatever it's worth, there were two additional styles of highback seats: one was a fixed-back seat used only in the 1969 models, and the other was an adjustable back seat used only in the 1970 models. The latter is somewhat similar to those used in 1971-72 MkIII GT6s. And one nice thing about the 1973 GT6 seats, in addition to the adjustable headrests, was that these originally came with a (brushed nylon) cloth facing, making them possibly just a bit more comfortable in temperature extremes!

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Well that makes a slight difference in that I have the original seats that were only used for that one year, that adds weight to keeping them and having them redone. And as Rotoflex says the only thing that really works is straight replacement, so I will try to adhere to if it ain't broke......
Thanks guys.