• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seat Bottoms

Royal_58

I'm looking for a solution to seat spring failure on a 58' TR3A. The springs are rusted to pieces and crumble away with any movement. The padding etc. is also in pretty bad shape. The covers are good enough for my rolling restoration but I don't trust the springs will be there much longer.

Is there a foam replacement for the springs?
Why are the replacements so expensive?

D

DougF

TRF is producing new spring seat bottoms that are supposed to be real nice. I've seen them but have not sat in them.
Some folks will also say they like the foam bottoms that eliminate the springs.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I had 80,250 miles from new on my seats. The springs were broken and the cushion was sagging. I picked up some springs (for free) from a local upholstery shop. I had a piece of an old broken one with me. The diameter of the helix was about the same. The wire diameter was a bit larger (read stiffer) and I spiraled the new lengths into the seat from the bottom. I left in the original padding. I spiraled them around the remains of the existing springs and cut the new ones to length, then twisted over the outer free end around the cross-wire mesh of the frame so they would stay in place.

Since 1990 when I did this, I have driven 98,000 miles and the seats are still like they were back in 1990. I feel that adding more padding will raise the seat cushion and it will become more difficult for you to get your leg under the steering wheel when you want to get in or out. Also, you will sit so much higher, it just doesn't look or feel right. If you are sitting too high, you will think you are going to slide off the "mounded" seat cusion in any direction, even if you are wearing a lap belt.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was able to sourse the padding etc. locally from uphoulsters and such. I never did find springs, but Don posted something a while ago about getting similar sized springs from a matress manufacturer.

PeterK

Yoda
Don Elliott said:
I feel that adding more padding will raise the seat cushion and it will become more difficult for you to get your leg under the steering wheel when you want to get in or out. Also, you will sit so much higher, it just doesn't look or feel right. If you are sitting too high, you will think you are going to slide off the "mounded" seat cusion in any direction, even if you are wearing a lap belt.

Well Don, here's a picture of my driver's seat done in foam. It's nice and firm, flat, looks correct? feels GREAT, and is the same thickness and ride height as the original buggy springs. Wonderful on the back but I don't drive as much as you do.

BTW the foam was sourced from the guy that sells complete seats for the TR3 and sells on ebay. About $100 for both seats and backs, basically everything except the vinyl upholstery.

Attachments

• 9162.jpg
    9162.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 105
OP
R

Royal_58

Thanks for the information, Thats exactly what I was looking for! I'll check into the local shop and see what they have and if they can't help I'll do the ebay foam.
Thanks again guys.

BTW Peter your car looks real nice!

fogdot

Jedi Hopeful
Peter
I don't want to take this string in a different direction, but where did you get your steering wheel cover.
Dave

PeterK

Yoda
fogdot said:
Peter
I don't want to take this string in a different direction, but where did you get your steering wheel cover.
Dave

Hi Dave.

It's from Wheel Skins and when I received it, it was too wide for the narrow TR wheel. I think that they will custom make covers if you call them but mine was listed for a Gullwing or something when I bought it and was the correct diameter.

I had to narrow the width of the finished edge with a razor knife. Then fold over the edge and reglue with contact cement. After it dried, I used a leather punch (plier type) to match the lacing holes on the facing side.

If you cut one, be sure to allow extra for folding over the finished edge.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
FWIW, my seats done in foam...

https://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/seats.JPG

A competent upholsterer can build up a seat bottom from various foam and shape it to give a very suitable replacement for the springs. I don't think the replacement springs were available back when I had these done... anyway I am quite pleased with the ride of the foam seats.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
PeterK said:
BTW the foam was sourced from the guy that sells complete seats for the TR3 and sells on ebay. About $100 for both seats and backs, basically everything except the vinyl upholstery.

2TALL CUSTOM AUTO INTERIORS?

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Fogdot - I restored my 1958 TR3A from 1987 to 1990. I sanded the steering wheel to remove the brown oxide with 1500 and then 2000 wet-and-dry paper (wet) and the steering wheel looked fabulous for 16 years. This past spring, I was having the car re-sprayed (after 94,000 miles on the paint) and I removed the steering wheel and asked the painter to re-spray it black like the rest of the car. It was starting to look a little grubby. He had never heard of this - nor had he ever done it, but I insisted and he did a fabulous job.