• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Roll Bar installation question

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My new roll bar from Moss didn't come with any instructions, so I have a dumb question. What is the proper method of installation? Does the extra brace (or "v") go to the front or to the rear? Or, does it matter at all? It will only fit one way with the seat belt retractors mounted to the side fender wells, so I'm hoping that it's the correct position.

Thanks............

grossgo

That's the way mine was installed 25 years ago when I bought the car. It's only been out to get CHROMED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Lately I've been thinking about removing it just to see if I can get that extra inch or two of seat recline. I'm 6'2" and I feel really cramped in there. Funny..... I didn't feel cramped when I was 28 years old.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif
The only advice I can give is that wherever you locate it, make sure it doesn't interfere with the rear bars on the soft top frame. Before I had mine chromed, I actually shortened it by an inch or so, just to give more clearance. A moot point really, since I hardly ever put the top up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
GT

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I was an inch taller at 28, but now I'm 6 inches wider, or larger in diameter around the waist, so my issue is side to side, not front to back.

Thanks for the info, cause that's the way she's going in. I'll check the rear bars of the soft top, but I presume that mounting it forward will eliminate that problem.

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Paul:

Could you tell me of the detail on your bar? Believe it or not I acquired a bar with back braces in the mid 70's when I worked at a foreign car parts store. Never installed it in my orig 250. When I sold the 250 I still had the bar hanging on the wall in my father in law's garage. He had a flouescent lamp hanging from it over his workbench. Any how when we bought a house & got the room it ended up back with me in the late 90's. With no TR I ended up trading it for a snow plow for my Land Rover from a guy I worked with. I ran into him a couple of years later & it was sitting in his barn. I bought it back from him for $75.

Well; trying to install it it seems as theought the rake (angle) is too far forward, I can't even put the seats down when they are all the way up.

What I need to know if you have one with the back brace is the length of the legs & the angle of the brace as I may have my modified via sawz all & re-welded.

Sorry for the long story, but kinda funny how things bomerang. If I could only get my old high school girlfriend back in the same shape she was back then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Mine doesn't have back braces (horizontal), just a "v" formed where a (vertical) second leg is added to the "U" shape of the bar, that will extend either to the front or the back. It fits perfectly if I mount the extra leg forward, otherwise there is a conflict with the shoulder belt retractors.

I'll see if I can get a photo before taking it overto the shop tomorrow, otherwise, I'll photo after install and post then.

swift6

Yoda
Took this during my re-assembly. Hope it helps.

0000_016.jpg

If you mount it the other way your top won't go up.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Oh-oh! I don't think that this way will fit with the seat belt retractors mounted on the sides. Where did you mount your shoulder belt retractors?

swift6

Yoda
They are mounted in the stock location. It is tight but they do fit. I apologize in advance for the blurry photo. I just ran out to the garage and snapped it for you.

I strongly suggest test fitting your bar to verify that seat belts, top, seats etc... can all be happy with the roll bars location BEFORE holes are drilled to install it.

Seatbeltclose-up.jpg

For any wondering... I do have holes cut in the carpet so that the roll bar is mounted directly to metal. The front anchor points are also sitting on 1/4 inch plates to tilt the bar back a slight bit to give the extra seat adjustment that I needed to keep the seat from rubbing on the roll bar. Also, underneath the body there are larger 1/4 inch plates at all four mounting points to help spread any load that it might encounter and to re-enforce the sheet metal.

looks like I need to hoover back there as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
Shawn, look like the color of your carpet has changed since the first photo?

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Shawn, thanks for the pics. I went to the body shop this morning with the bar and we sat it in place. It does fit just as yours does, with an inch or so to spare. I did put the top up and all is well.

The black carpeting looks great. I'll be installing all new carpeting to replace my faded pieces when I remove the Gunst. My local custom upholstery shop said he would cut and seam the deck carpet section to make it look as if the roll bar was factory installed under the carpet.

The shop is going to run three wires through the bar for the new 15" LED light bar that's due in on Monday. I'll be able to run the parking lights on low intensity and the brakes will be on the high intensity side.

All is well for another day in TR6 land.

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Nice photos, love the color of your car; & your dash! One big diff is my bar has the front mounts down on the floor & the rear legs on the parcel shelf.

Anyone else have one like this?

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Gary, I saw a bar like yours last year at the Triumph Day in Brookline. The owner told me that this type was no longer made, only because the company sold out and the new company did not continue this bar, just a style similar to what Shawn and I have.

I presume that there may have been issues with the seat travel and clearance that may have led to this decision.

PeterK

Yoda
Hi Gary,
I have a rollbar with the main hoop that mounts to the floor behind the seats and the braces on the parcel shelf. I'm under 6 feet so no problem with seat adjustment. Not sure if it was homemade or purchased, but I've had it for a long time and came from the west coast.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Mine's finally in, with the wiring run through the bar for the new LED lamp due in Monday. This thing is finally get close to being done.

Went to Sears today and installed 5 new Goodyear's. All the techs couldn't understand why I was taking off red stripe Michelin tires with 8/32's of tread left. They're 18 years old and may go on E-Bay, but they're done on my car. Great for show, but I'm a driver, not a show guy.

grossgo

I have a set of redline Michelins with AT LEAST that much tread, but they're even older. Problem is, they're about as grippy as a bowling ball. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Don't know WHAT I'm gonna do with them......
Pirelli 400s for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF
GT