• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rivergate Rear Crankshaft Seal Instructions

Mio

Country flag
I pulled the engine on my Bugeye so as to address a rather excessive oil leak coming from the rear of the engine. (Yes, I realize that "excessive" is a relative term with British cars).
In anticipation of putting everything back together I would like to obtain a copy of the Rivergate rear crankshaft seal instructions which entail fitting the seal and adaptor plate to the back of the engine block, applying sealant, and ensuring reduced, dare I say, eliminated oil leaks.

I spoke with Will at Rivergate earlier today. He stated that while the instructions reside on his primary computer it is, unfortunately, out for repairs. He is unsure as to when his computer will be fixed and if the contents of his hard drive will be maintained. (Side note: This is exactly why I use external drives to backup my PCs).

Does anyone have access to the Rivergate rear crankshaft seal instructions that they could send me? I will happily pay for postage. Again, I do not need the complete kit instructions but merely the components associated with fitting the adaptor plate and seal to the back of the engine block.

I will scan any instructions that I receive and post to my website .

Many thanks,
Mike

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Check while engine is out. Make sure the oil pump cover is sealed well.

OP
Mio

Mio

Country flag
Hi Jack,
I respect the fact that the process seems rather straightforward but Will implied that there are in fact some best practices to be aware of. Hence, his development of instructions.

Regards,
Mike

The instructions are quite involved, go to www.raysmg.com, Ray Mcaleb should have them. Here's a photo of the one I installed on his engine.

Attachments

• 17351.jpg
    17351.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 177
OP
Mio

Mio

Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
The instructions are quite involved

Hi Hap,
Many thanks for the information. While Ray's site is certainly comprehensive, I am unable to locate the instructions but I have emailed him. For what it's worth, the 'abridged' version of the instructions for the entire kit found on Rivergate's website (i.e., "Remove steel plate from rear of the engine and replace it with the aluminum adapter plate") are arguably a tad terse.

Regards,
Mike

Country flag
If Ray comes up empty, then send me a private message and I'll dig for mine. I suspect that Ray is a bit more organized than me and probably knows exactly where his instructions are laying.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mike, I am not talking about the rear crank oil seal and having no experience with the ones other than stock would not.

I was talking about the oil pump cover. Is easy to seal but needs to be checked if he really has a massive oil leak from somewhere.

OP
Mio

Mio

Country flag
jlaird said:
I was talking about the oil pump cover. Is easy to seal but needs to be checked if he really has a massive oil leak from somewhere.

Hi Jack,
To your point, I have every intention of checking and using new seals throughout the entire block. As you know, it's very easy to address the seals when the engine is out of the car.

The previous owner (who happens to be my brother) had very few records so it is quite difficult to discern exactly when maintenance activities or upgrades had been done to the car. On a positive note, I verified that it has an aluminum flywheel and the clutch displayed very little wear.

Regards,
Mike

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh, how nice, an alum flywheel. Wish I had one, sigh.

Country flag
I found mine. They are greasy and about 6 years old. Do you have a fax number?

If not, I can scan the relevant pages and email them.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
OK...since the last post I:

1) Tore up the house some more.

2) Determined that I had misplaced the instructions too recently to blame my ex-wife.

3) Went to the garage, found the box of remaining kit parts (yoke, u-joint, etc.) AND the instructions.

Let me know if you need a larger size emailed to you. I also intend to put up the entire set of instructions on my web site when time permits and with Will's permission.

Ray

Attachments

• 17390.jpg
    17390.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 110
Country flag
Glad you found those Ray. I really didn't want to run the greasy pages through my scanner/fax! :smile: