• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question on hi-torque starter & Rivergate

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Just put in the starter motor I purchased from Rivergate now that the motor/5speed trans is in the car.

Folks who have done this - do you find that the cable going to the pull/starter cable gizmo is crushed against the engine? Seems like it will work but what about the heat of the engine?

Also...which wire do you attach to the other post (more of a spade) on the starter? I assume it's the ignition switch, but haven't looked yet at which wire to use of the ignition switch.

As always..all help appreciated.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
For a high torque starter, the battery (+) should go directly to the starter. The solenoid can then be wired between the battery and the spade connector of the starter. The starter has its own solenoid and just needs +12V supplied to the spade to activate the starter's solenoid.
One way is to move the starter cable from the switched side of the sprite solenoid to the same solenoid post that already has the cable from the battery. On the now empty switched side of the solenoid, attach a reasonable gauge of wire and run it to the spade connection on the starter. So, BIG cable hot all the time from battery to starter post, small wire switched by solenoid to spade on starter.

Glen Byrns

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
For a high torque starter, the battery (+) should go directly to the starter. The solenoid can then be wired between the battery and the spade connector of the starter. The starter has its own solenoid and just needs +12V supplied to the spade to activate the starter's solenoid.
One way is to move the starter cable from the switched side of the sprite solenoid to the same solenoid post that already has the cable from the battery. On the now empty switched side of the solenoid, attach a reasonable gauge of wire and run it to the spade connection on the starter. So, BIG cable hot all the time from battery to starter post, small wire switched by solenoid to spade on starter.

Glen Byrns

OP
Bruce_B

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Glen, Thanks for the info. I'm sticking with positive ground, so to clarify..

What I'm calling a Gizmo, is the metal box that at one side is attached to the starter pull handle on the dashboard, and the negative cable is attached to the box, and another cables goes to the starter. Sounds like you're calling that a solenoid.

Sounds like now with the new starter the negative cable now goes directly to the post on the starter. (BIG cable)

Then, to clarify this in my own brain, then I can run a hot lead to the Gizmo, then from Gizmo to the spade on the starter. (small wire)

Now when I pull the starter handle, 12V goes to the spade and the starter will run. When I release the pull handle, the starter stops.
Is that right?

Ray...hope this helps you also.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Exactly right!!!! Like I said only with (-) instead of (+).
You're also right to question the use of the term "solenoid" to refer to the typical Spridget starter switch. Its just a big, high amperage switch, but Spridget folks call it a solenoid because it does the solenoid's job. (Only without the electromagnetic coil and iron core that would make it a real solenoid).
Since the gear reduction starter has its own solenoid activated by the spade connector, you can use the Spridget "solenoid" as a low amperage switch to retain the original look.

Glen

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think in your case, with the mechanical starter pull, a little constructive wiring should do fine.
starter.jpg

OP
Bruce_B

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Thanks everyone...as always this Forum is great!